New Crack-a-two-a on the way in, thought on a mod

ALL212 · 1626

Offline ALL212

on: December 13, 2017, 09:39:11 AM
I've got a 100k Goldpoint volume pot laying around from another project that didn't happen.  I've never had a channel imbalance with this.  Can I skip the balance pot?  I'll find something clever to fill the hole with.

Do I need the 33k resistors in the circuit if I do this?

Aaron Luebke

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:19:36 AM
I will suggest, as always, that you build the kit in the stock configuration before you modify anything. It is possible to remove the balance control and install a different attenuator, that's what the TwoQuiet mod kit does, with separate coarse and fine adjustment switches. It would actually be a good exercise in DIY modification to work out for yourself how you would do it, since it is not too complex. Post your modification plan here and we can look it over and offer suggestions.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Leland Hankins

Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:28:08 AM
Aaron, to save one step in the future I would install the Goldpoint instead of the stock alpha pot, go ahead and install the resistors and the balance control.  Same set up as the stock kit but with a much better volume control, remove or bypass the balance control in the future if you think it is necessary.  The Crack-a-two-a is just waiting for two mono attenuators.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:32:07 AM by Leland Hankins »

Offline ALL212

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 02:52:16 AM
That sounds like a plan.  In the meantime I'll figure out how to remove the balance pot.

Thanks to you both!
Aaron

Aaron Luebke