Color Me Enamored

jtori · 1156

Offline jtori

on: May 31, 2020, 10:28:37 AM
I'm totally intoxicated by the sound of my recently completed Crack-a-two-a.  There's an immediacy to the sound, which fosters a real emotional connection for me.  I've rolled a couple tubes and settled -- for now -- on a mil-spec Sylvania JHS 6189-12AU7WA in the input-tube position, NOS Chatham Electronics 6080WB with slotted graphite columns in the output position and a pair of NOS GE 5-star 6005s in the shunt-regulator spots.  The overall character is one of crystalline clarity, airiness and silky smoothness in the mids and highs with well-rounded, incisive, punchy and robust low end when called for.  So glad I made the decision to purchase this fine amp!  And on top of that, there was the bonus of being able to immerse in the build process. 

Here are a couple test shots I made with my iPhone earlier today.  I plan to make some more nicely arranged, composed and post-processed images with my full-frame mirrorless once I've installed the TwoQuiet upgrade. 

Joe.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 11:07:04 AM
It looks great, especially with those fancy tubes.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 11:32:16 AM
Nice looking amp, Like I need another headphone amp, well maybe? I will see. No, well, definitely No, But...…….

Lee R.

Offline jtori

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 02:03:36 AM
It looks great, especially with those fancy tubes.

Thank you, Paul. 

Offline jtori

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 02:07:40 AM
Nice looking amp, Like I need another headphone amp, well maybe? I will see. No, well, definitely No, But...…….

This is a community of enablers; you won't get objective input here.  If asked whether you should get another headphone amp, my response will be unambiguous: "Yes! Get another amp. You need one."  :)

Offline Karl5150

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 06:22:51 AM
Nice work jtori, looking forward to the glamour shots.
I agree with your philosophy: With 2 turntables and 3 phono preamps, I'm not thinking of offloading one of the preamps, I'm thinking of what TT project will be next.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 01:59:45 PM
Hey jtori,
You were correct this forum is full of enablers including yourself. I just ordered a C2A!! That's it, no more kits Ever, and I mean Ever,
well maybe not ever but in the near future, I think, I'm not sure now. Who am I? What did this sickness do to me?  :D

Lee R.