lowthers and subwoofers

dgb · 3218

Offline dgb

on: January 22, 2018, 11:41:29 AM
forgive me if i'm treading old territory here but...
I'm listening to a pair of "Alerion" speakers using the Lowther dx-55.  Specs appear from the gentleman i bought them from at http://charneyaudio.com/
I'm using the older Stereomour with 2a3's
I'm looking for a musical sub or subs to fill in the low end without messing too much with the full range bliss these things are capable of.
I will not use the subs in an HT environment ever.  I listen to just about everything, between my collection and tidal.
I'm thinking about a pair of the Blumenstein subs with power, and otherwise, i feel overwhelmed with the choices. I definitely want to
keep it 2k or below. I thank anyone for input/advice, don

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 05:31:05 AM
Don,

I have a set of Blumenstein subs (older, thinner version) with the Dayton 250W amps that could use a good home.  PM me if interested.

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline ToneDeaf

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 03:39:15 PM
 I might be a little late on this topic. But look into the bucket sub. They are up firing subs made in a 5 Gall bucket.  I'm not kidding. These are awesome subs, designed for high fidelity music. Not for Home theater. Although I'm sure they would work.  I built two of them. Probable cost less then $100.00, Pair them with a Crown XLS 1500, with built in cross overs. A great Class D amp with plenty of reserve current. Think I paid about $310.00 on sale. Anyway you can do it for less then $500.00. And they have measured flat to 25Hz. Can't handle much over 100Hz . Do a search for them and you will find complete DIY instructions on how to build them. Then you can trim the top with chrome or gold car door trim. And make a skirt for them if you don't like the look of an upside down bucket. I have mine paired with a pair of Madisound BK-16's, with Fostex FE166En's in them.  Mine are crossed over at 63 Hz. Subs wired in parallel = 4 ohms. XLS 1500 in mono mode is capable of 1550 watts. Don't need to turn it up much, and lots of reserve. They work great together and are recommended. This is not bull. These work fantastically. And no one is making anything off of this. It is completely DIY. Hope this helps some.

Offline faskenite

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:51:02 PM

I have Lowther EX3 Medallions and they absolutely need a subwoofer.  And don’t listen in the near field!  I have been happy with an REL Strata III, which has useful controls for dialing in to different amp/speaker combinations.  There are less and more expensive models in the REL line, but as I recall the Strata III was south of $2k US.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 08:02:58 AM
I might be a little late on this topic. But look into the bucket sub. They are up firing subs made in a 5 Gall bucket.  I'm not kidding. These are awesome subs, designed for high fidelity music. Not for Home theater. Although I'm sure they would work.  I built two of them. Probable cost less then $100.00, Pair them with a Crown XLS 1500, with built in cross overs. A great Class D amp with plenty of reserve current. Think I paid about $310.00 on sale. Anyway you can do it for less then $500.00. And they have measured flat to 25Hz. Can't handle much over 100Hz . Do a search for them and you will find complete DIY instructions on how to build them. Then you can trim the top with chrome or gold car door trim. And make a skirt for them if you don't like the look of an upside down bucket. I have mine paired with a pair of Madisound BK-16's, with Fostex FE166En's in them.  Mine are crossed over at 63 Hz. Subs wired in parallel = 4 ohms. XLS 1500 in mono mode is capable of 1550 watts. Don't need to turn it up much, and lots of reserve. They work great together and are recommended. This is not bull. These work fantastically. And no one is making anything off of this. It is completely DIY. Hope this helps some.

I can second the bucket subs and have also built a pair (and still use them :-)

https://zimmer64.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/bucket-sub/

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 11:40:33 AM
X3 on the "bucket subs" I use a variation with a nicer encloser. I'll try to post a picture later...John

John Scanlon

Offline Bryon

Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 05:20:57 PM
I have DX4's in Azura 204 horns so they definitely need some help in the lower regions.  My solution is to use a good active crossover [a Marchand XM26] and have my Paramounts run the DX4's and an old power pig sand amp [an old Kenwood something or other] providing the bass through Altec 414's in diy Mini Onkens.   They sound great together.  I was told by a Speaker manufacturer that the trick to have the bass integrate with the Lowther drivers is to make sure the amp pushing the woofers has enough power and it seems to work for me.

Just another approach to consider which can be done just south of 2K.

Bryon