Painting underside of mainline chassis plate

MikeSattler · 1099

Offline MikeSattler

on: March 13, 2018, 09:53:38 AM
Hi guys, quick question on painting the Mainline plate. I'm planning on using a semi-gloss gun-coat spray on my chassis plate (the same stuff people use on their AR-15's and whatnot) so I can have a super durable top-coat.

Would I have any issues with spraying the underside of the chassis as well? Are there any components that need electrical contact with the chassis plate to ground properly?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:08:15 AM
Lots of places need a solid connection to the chassis panel - the safety ground tie point next to the IEC entry, the standoffs for the stepped attenuator subpanel, the ground lug that ties to the TRS jack, all the solder lugs under the PC board standoffs. In theory at least the jack housings that mount to the chassis panel should all be grounded to the chassis too.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline MikeSattler

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:09:33 AM
Okay great, thanks for the quick reply Doc!

I'll just sand any excess paint off the underside of the plate before assembly.

Offline AllanMarcus

• Mainlining my way to bliss
    • My DIY Site
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 07:31:09 PM
Hi guys, quick question on painting the Mainline plate. I'm planning on using a semi-gloss gun-coat spray on my chassis plate (the same stuff people use on their AR-15's and whatnot) so I can have a super durable top-coat.

Would I have any issues with spraying the underside of the chassis as well? Are there any components that need electrical contact with the chassis plate to ground properly?

Duracoat? I was looking at that vs a powered coat. Please us know how it turns out.

This space for rent

Offline MikeSattler

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 10:47:44 AM
Hey Allan

I ended up deciding to go matte black powder coat instead. There was a place in town that coated my chassis plate and transformer bell for $30  ;D

Offline AllanMarcus

• Mainlining my way to bliss
    • My DIY Site
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 12:05:37 PM
Hey Allan

I ended up deciding to go matte black powder coat instead. There was a place in town that coated my chassis plate and transformer bell for $30  ;D

Wow! That's really inexpensive! Post pics when you have it all done.

This space for rent