Fitting in a headphone amp

BJK · 1190

Offline BJK

on: March 21, 2018, 09:13:02 AM
My main goal is to be able to listen to records via headphones (or speakers), without having to manually move the RCA cables between devices everytime, and I want to mess with the signal as little as possible. (Bonus points to be able to switch to the DAC, but not essential).

I have an old Linn Sondek + Reduction + Stereomour II amp + Blumenstein Orca speakers in our livingroom. I'm thinking about the crack or sex. Thoughts about how to do this, given the stereomour is an integrated amp, and has no pre/passive-out?

I'd love to hear how different Stereomour owners have done this in their system. Including mods and non-mods.

Somethings I've considered:
-putting a passive switching device in front of the stereomour. Any thoughts on good solutions?
-use a headphone amp that doubles as a pre-out. ie.: http://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim
-moding the Stereomour to have a passive out somehow. (I only use two of the inputs...)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:51:54 AM
I would use a Crack-a-two-a as a combination headphone amp/preamp.  It would be easy enough to add a set of RCA outs either on the top panel or wood base, and it would check all the boxes for you. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline borism

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 04:46:37 AM
Another option is to convert the unused Stereomour input into an output and add the headphone amp of choice - for me a bottlehead crack. I used a goldpoint selector switch (4P, 3 position) and just connected the wires from the unused input to the common (output) tabs on the switch.

Boris

Offline Karl5150

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 05:54:14 AM
I added 2 small on-off-on switches and a second set of RCA to my Reduction. +: No cable swaps   -: 4 more holes in the plate.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline malvo

Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 09:57:39 AM
This old thread has some interesting possibilities:

https://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7195.0

In short you'd send the output of the selector switch to your unused rca jacks or a new set of rca jacks mounted either on the plate or wood base. PB's reply #3 seems to be the nub of the matter. I've not done this with the Stereomour but I did with my Smash so that I could use speakers or Crack as suited. With the Smash I followed the advice here:

https://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=8944.0

But, unless I'm really mistaken, it should be the same process. So with Smash + amp on I get music through the speakers (and the Crack, if it's on). With Smash + amp off I just get signal sent to the Crack.