• Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 09:32:49 AM
Looks nice!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 01:10:20 PM
Button caps, acorn nuts and all that polishing. It's all in the details. Good work.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 08:41:37 PM
Nice work looks great

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 08:45:08 AM
Thanks for the compliments!  The circuit is coming along nicely, should finish it in the next two days.

Question for Doc/PB - how crucial is it that the 220 Ohm resistor bodies be flush with the the A socket leads?  Because I am using non-stock sockets, the resistor body between A2 and 12U is about 1cm away from A2, as close as I could get it with the leads.  Just so happens that A2 is about as far away as it could possibly be from 12U with the socket orientation the way it is.

Keenan McKnight

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 11:23:37 AM
It's always a tough call to make without having it sitting in front of me.  Do your best to get them as close as possible. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 01:02:25 PM
Uh oh, hope it won't cause problems. Here is a picture, for both A2 and A7 the resistor body is about 8-9mm away.  If necessary I could desolder everything and flip the socket, might get me another few mm.

UPDATE: I am reorienting the socket 180 degrees, should solve the issue.  Thanks for the help, PB.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:36:12 PM by L0rdGwyn »

Keenan McKnight

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 05:49:48 PM
UPDATE: I am reorienting the socket 180 degrees, should solve the issue.

Using the stock socket in the as designed position will solve the issue. Rotating the socket 180 degrees is begging for a miswire.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 06:27:21 AM
Thanks, I checked and double checked the wiring of the 9-pin, rotating it 180 got the resistors where they needed to be.

Here is a picture of the stock circuit.

I am having a weird issue with my resistance checks, in that I cannot measure them at all.  I have my negative lead on the #8 near the IEC, I get a 0 Ohm reading at the power transformer screw, then cannot measure anything across the transformer.  Checking for continuity also gives no result at any transformer terminal.  This is consistent across two different multimeters and they are set to the correct range for each reading.  Fuse is not blown, all tests up to this point were passed, reflowed all of the joints at the transformer, power switch, ground bus, IEC.  Feel pretty dumb like I'm missing something obvious here, any suggestions?  I've been staring at this circuit too long.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:28:45 AM by L0rdGwyn »

Keenan McKnight

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 07:44:38 AM
I have my negative lead on the #8 near the IEC, I get a 0 Ohm reading at the power transformer screw, then cannot measure anything across the transformer. 
Only the transformer screw with the ground tab has to be 0 ohms.

I checked the resistance readings in the manual and I do not see any resistance checks for any power transformer terminals.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 08:40:32 AM
Only the transformer screw with the ground tab has to be 0 ohms.

I checked the resistance readings in the manual and I do not see any resistance checks for any power transformer terminals.

Ah yes, knew it had to be something dumb on my part, this is what happens when you are working night shifts and build this circuit in two sittings.  Thanks for humoring my stupid question regardless, PB.

All resistances and voltages are within spec - time to give this baby some head-time!

Here are some beauty shots, really pleased with how it came out aesthetically.

COMING SOON: TwoQuiet attenuator upgrade, Bottlehead Power Cord, and ridiculously large output caps :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:40:01 PM by L0rdGwyn »

Keenan McKnight

Offline faskenite

Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 01:19:31 PM
I’m in the middle of a tricked out Stereomour build - maybe i’ll follow your example!  I’m planning on keeping the brushed aluminium top plate as is, but could you share as to how you got the mirror finish?

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 03:24:04 PM
I’m in the middle of a tricked out Stereomour build - maybe i’ll follow your example!  I’m planning on keeping the brushed aluminium top plate as is, but could you share as to how you got the mirror finish?

Certainly!  First off, it was a lot of work.  Took some serious trial and error, had to start over multiple times.  I first sanded down the top to remove the machined texturing, started with 180 grit, then 240, 320, then 400.  This step is really important, if you don't get it all the way down, you will see the grooves in your final finish.  I then used a benchtop buffing tool and buffed with Brown Tripoli compound, a good once over the whole plate.  From there, I did a full once over with white diamond buffing compound, then went back around and spot buffed with the white diamond.  After all of that, I polished the top with White Diamond liquid metal polish to finish.  Also had to clean in between each round to remove buffing compound.  Ultimately I am happy with the result, but getting it to a perfect mirror just isn't feasible, the aluminum is very prone to scratching so there are imperfections (even wiping with microfiber can leave visible micro-scratches).  I would only recommend doing it if you have a lot of patience, it definitely tested mine.

Keenan McKnight

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 02:27:05 PM
Added the Mundorf caps and TwoQuiet attenuator.  Here are some pics of the final circuit.

Keenan McKnight

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 05:39:50 PM
I know that PB worked hard to make sure there was a ton of room for special caps and other such things - looks like you used up all the space with those Mundorfs! Looks good!

Paul Joppa

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 05:54:25 PM
I know that PB worked hard to make sure there was a ton of room for special caps and other such things - looks like you used up all the space with those Mundorfs! Looks good!

Thanks Paul!  They just fit, had to change the orientation of two terminals in the TwoQuiet, but hey it works!

Keenan McKnight