10k 20k 50k and more

Guest · 850

4krow

on: April 26, 2018, 11:12:08 AM
 While assembling yet another kit out there in hi-fi building land, there was call for a potentiometer value of 10k. Never have heard of such a low value before. I remember someone stating that the value may be different (much higher) for old tube equipment, like 250k. How are these decided on in general?
 In this case, I used a 20k pot instead of a 10k pot, and then padded it down 8db further because there was too much volume at a low setting of the pot. Of course, I found that different headphones for this amp to vary quite a bit in where the pot was set for normal listening.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 12:05:33 PM
Mouser stocks potentiometer from 0.5 ohms to  10,000,000 ohms.  10K isn't really that low and may be needed in some equipment to properly drive the device(s) after the pot. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 01:59:11 PM
Just a note about volume control pots here. Be sure you have a logarithmic taper, not a linear taper - this gives you a wider range of volume settings. Most pots sold as "volume controls" will have the log taper, but most sold as just potentiometers are linear taper.

I only mention it because the original post did not say, and it's not uncommon to mistake one for the other.

Paul Joppa

4krow

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 03:08:12 PM
Good advice gents, thanks. There are a few things to look at when shop for these controls. The cheaper ones are pretty crappy when it comes to lower volume settings and channel balance. I tend to buy the plastic track types rather than the carbon track type unless it is a well known brand. Lastly, there is a certain 'feel' to some of the better controls, which is minor, but appreciated by me just the same.