How Much Is Too Much?

faskenite · 1156

Offline faskenite

on: July 22, 2018, 12:31:40 PM
Usually when I wonder about the compatibility of a phono stage with a cartridge, the concern is whether the cart will work well with the ps and whether sut’s will be necessary.  But I have a question about the Eros from the other end of the telescope - how much cartridge output would be too much?  Just asking because in my system at the moment one of the tables has an esoteric Pierre Clement cartridge, which has a ton of output!

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 04:22:38 PM
Generally speaking, the industry standard for cartridge output is millivolts, (mV), not "tons". Are you sure you are not confusing VTF for output? VTF is measured in grams, so there are quite a few grams in a ton, metric or otherwise. Do you mean a US ton, metric ton or the unit of measurement of a ship's weight representing the weight of water it displaces, equal to 2,240 pounds or 35 cubic feet (0.99 cu m)? Yeah this vinyl $#!T gets technical!

Which Pierre Clement cartridge? The variable reluctance model?  You are not helping us help you!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline faskenite

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 04:35:36 PM
Har de har.  I don’t know the exact number but from what I have looked up I think we are talking something in the neighbourhood of 20 mv.  Not exactly Koetsu territory!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:56:00 AM
A 20mV cartridge is going to present some issues for lots of phono preamps.

I believe that the Reduction will tolerate this level of output, but the Eros will not.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline faskenite

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 06:58:44 AM
Thanks, that was my concern.  I might build an Eros anyway as the phono stage for the other tables with lowish output moving coils (Lyras) with Sowter transformers.  It’s a bit nutty having three turntables, but I couldn’t resist the opportunity to try out the Pierre Clement, because it is attached to a vintage Thorens 124!  A pretty great turntable with 50s and 60s mono records.  If I decide to build an Eros for the other tables I might keep the Thorens and use it with my current Wright mm stage, which has adjustable gain that could come in handy with other carts.