Wiring replacement pot (Alps)

Rossputin · 8956

Offline fromnowon

Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 08:56:24 AM
I went over to Parts Express today and got one of these 023-206s.
It's labeled "ALPS RK27" in the packaging.  Just thought I'd let everyone know that!

Offline JLDub

Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 12:20:03 PM
Awesome!! Thanks for sharing!

Offline JLDub

Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 03:46:33 PM
FYI - My pot came in today. They put it in a yellow padded mailer and the pins punctured right through the plastic bag and the shipping mailer. Pins were all bent up! You'd think they would've thought about that by now :\
Anyway, just thought I'd share for anyone thinking of ordering from there, ask it be wrapped in bubble wrap or shipped in a small box

Offline fromnowon

Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 02:28:06 PM
That stinks.  I am sure that P.E. will replace it, quickly!  Shipping always makes me nervous.

I ordered the small breakout board from China so still waiting for that.

Offline Rossputin

Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 02:35:43 PM
I ordered the breakout board as well! What a great idea that is. Thanks to all of you for responding to my question and adding additional useful information. This is a great forum.

Offline Rossputin

Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 06:23:24 PM
Breakout board arrived. There are three rows of four pins roughly in the (horizontal) center of the board. Three pins from the ALPS go into three of the four holes in the top and bottom of the three rows.  Kinda like this, using an X where an ALPS pin goes and an O where no pin goes:

XXXO
OOOO
XXXO

With this in mind, how do you experts recommend I wire this, and do you think I should get some little terminal blocks for the edges, or just solder directly to the board?

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:17:48 AM by Rossputin »

Offline fromnowon

Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 02:57:00 AM
This link/picture helped me on a past non-BH project.
(I soldered to the pins on that one!)
I was hoping to follow the traces on the board, once I get, it and figure it out.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/280137-wiring-alps-rk27-50k-potentiometer.html

Offline Chris65

Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 03:58:13 AM
If you got the break-out board PB linked, then there is only one way it can be mounted (as shown in the listing). Screenprint upwards & the RK27 centered.
Terminal blocks are ok in power supplies, but my preference is not to use them in the signal path.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 04:08:21 AM by Chris65 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 04:19:22 AM
There's a labeled "IN" side and an labeled "OUT" side.

The IN" side receives the signal from the RCA jacks. L is the white wire.  R is the red wire.  G is the black wire.  All holes labeled G on that board are connected together, so you don't (and shouldn't) add jumpers if one isn't used.

On the "OUT" side, R is the red wire going to the 9 pin socket, L is the white wire going to the 9 pin socket, and the black wires hook up to the soldered pads labeled G.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline diynewbie

Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 02:29:44 AM
I'll just add that the picture shows that all of the ground connections have a dashed circle around the holes.  I assume that the ground connections in the center 4-hole portion of the board are for jumpers?  Or in other words the alps pins do not go into those holes?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 04:17:44 AM
I'll just add that the picture shows that all of the ground connections have a dashed circle around the holes.
Yes, the board uses a small ground plane for all the ground connections.
I assume that the ground connections in the center 4-hole portion of the board are for jumpers?  Or in other words the alps pins do not go into those holes?
What jumpers?  Which holes?

It looks like the board might fit a few different pots.  I wouldn't solder any wires to any of the holes other than the ones on the edge of the board where the terminal blocks go.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Chris65

Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 04:26:28 AM
Yes, most of those boards are also designed for the RK16 pots, which has a different pin layout.

Offline diynewbie

Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 12:28:07 AM
Which holes?

BP, the link you provided for a breakout board shows 3 rows of 4 holes in the center of the board (not the IN or OUT outer holes).  The first/left holes in those 3 rows all indicate they are for ground.  So my question is are those hole meant to be used for jumpers or for the ground pins of the pot?  Sorry for the confusion.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 04:18:24 AM
  So my question is are those hole meant to be used for jumpers or for the ground pins of the pot?  Sorry for the confusion.
Since they are all connected together through the ground plane of the board, you do not need to add jumpers.  They are the ground pins of the pot.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Rossputin

Reply #29 on: June 27, 2018, 02:04:47 PM
A very fundamental question for you experts: Why do so many, including Doc B, believe that upgrading the volume pot is one of the first and best upgrades for the Crack (other than speedball)? (I'm not saying I disagree...I don't know enough to have an opinion. It's a sincere question with no subtext!) Can you tell me just what the benefit is of an upgraded pot? (And I'm in Colorado, so please no upgraded pot jokes.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:06:54 PM by Rossputin »