odd distortion below 50 Hz

AllanMarcus · 2596

Offline AllanMarcus

• Mainlining my way to bliss
    • My DIY Site
on: June 19, 2018, 04:05:34 PM
Hello,

I'm comparing some amps and using (among others) the Stereophile Test CD 1. This CD has tracks with warble tones at various frequencies. At 50 Hz and below, the Mainline does not sound like the three other amps I'm comparing (Magni 3, Eddie Current Black Window 2, Dennis Had Dragron Inspire). With the other three amps, I just hear the warble tone at the correct frequency. With the Mainline, I hear the warble tone, but I hear something else, maybe it's some kind of harmonic distortion.

Anyone else with test tones able to hear this too? If not, any ideas?

Link to explanation of the CD
https://www.stereophile.com/content/stereophile-test-cd-tracks-20-31

This space for rent

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 06:00:55 PM
Maybe this explains what is going on -

"Footnote 6: After the Test CD had been mastered, I checked the modulation frequency of these warble tones with an FFT analyzer and realized that it was closer to 14Hz rather than 5Hz. Note that as well as the higher modulation frequency than specified, the warble tone is not particularly pure, FM sidebands appearing around its second and third harmonics. Although the "buzz" of higher harmonics is faintly audible on these tracks—we had considered digitally low-pass filtering these tracks when we compiled the master tape, but weren't able to due to lack of time—the strongest harmonic, the second, lies just under 30dB down from the fundamental, ie, around the 3% level.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/stereophile-test-cd-tracks-20-31#F0lcCl6xPdgHufdg.99"

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline AllanMarcus

• My DIY Site
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 06:35:02 PM

"Footnote 6: After the Test CD had been mastered, I checked the modulation frequency of these warble tones with an FFT analyzer and realized that it was closer to 14Hz rather than 5Hz. Note that as well as the higher modulation frequency than specified, the warble tone is not particularly pure, FM sidebands appearing around its second and third harmonics. Although the "buzz" of higher harmonics is faintly audible on these tracks—we had considered digitally low-pass filtering these tracks when we compiled the master tape, but weren't able to due to lack of time—the strongest harmonic, the second, lies just under 30dB down from the fundamental, ie, around the 3% level.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/stereophile-test-cd-tracks-20-31#F0lcCl6xPdgHufdg.99"

Wow, interesting.  How come I can hear it with the mainline, but not with the other three amps?

This space for rent

Offline AllanMarcus

• My DIY Site
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 03:21:33 AM

I tried the low frequency tones from test CD 2 and 3, and I get the same results. The tones sound quite different on the Mainline compared to the other amps. On the other amps, all I hear is the low rumble. On the mainline, I hear additional information.

I can't post the tones, since they are proprietary, but you can here it with this test tone

My set up allows be to change a switch and flip between amps, so it's really easy to AB test.
I can hear the difference with the 50Hz wav file here too.
https://www.kicker.com/test-tones
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:25:16 AM by AllanMarcus »

This space for rent

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 04:47:10 AM
What headphones, impedance setting, and listening level?

With power hungry headphones and the amp making full power, I wouldn't be surprised if some audible harmonics crept up.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline AllanMarcus

• My DIY Site
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 04:58:12 AM
What headphones, impedance setting, and listening level?

With power hungry headphones and the amp making full power, I wouldn't be surprised if some audible harmonics crept up.

I was using the Utopia at a moderate listening level. When I get home tonight, I will try some other headphones.

This space for rent

Offline AllanMarcus

• My DIY Site
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 04:08:52 AM
Yep, I tried other headphones, and the odd harmonic is still there. :-(

It just manifest a little differently depended on headphone. Any ideas? Just a function of the amp, or might I might have problem?

This space for rent

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 08:00:33 AM
I got curious and played the 50Hz tone on my Mainline with HD650's, but didn't notice anything unusual. Then I played the tone on my Crack with HD600's and also didn't hear anything unusual. I tried again on my 02 transistor amp and still nothing. What does the extra noise sound like? Is it very distinctive?

-Raymond

Raymond P.

Offline AllanMarcus

• My DIY Site
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 08:21:12 AM
With my HD6xx, the difference is very subtle. It's much more noticeable with the PMx2 or the Utopia.

This space for rent

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 08:24:28 AM
Is it a stock build?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline AllanMarcus

• My DIY Site
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 09:26:58 AM
Is it a stock build?

Yep, no mods other than silver knobs.

This space for rent

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 09:31:18 AM
Does the impedance switch have any effect on it?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline AllanMarcus

• My DIY Site
Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 09:41:41 AM
Does the impedance switch have any effect on it?
A little, but not much. It's most pronounced on the utopia

It's still hard to hear with the test tone I posted. It's most noticeable with the test tones from the stereophile 1 disk. While they admit there were issues with those test tones, why they sound different with the Mainline compared to other amps is the curious issue.

Since I cannot post them, I can probably send them to an individual for just a quick test. PM me if interested.

This space for rent

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 09:23:20 PM
Just a thought, but are terminals 20 and 30 biased properly?

-Raymond

Raymond P.

Offline AllanMarcus

• My DIY Site
Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 02:32:34 AM
Just a thought, but are terminals 20 and 30 biased properly?

-Raymond

Yep. Just checked them last weekend

I listened through my HD6xx and can easily hear the distortion. I had a friend listen too, and he easily heard it. Again, this is with the stereophile warble, not the tone I posted.

When listening to the same track on three other amps, the odd distortion isn’t there.

This space for rent