odd distortion below 50 Hz

AllanMarcus · 2594

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 04:15:20 AM
It's a single-ended triode (SET) amp, with no feedback, so it does have a bit of distortion - mostly second harmonic. It is more audible with low frequency sine waves because the ear's sensitivity increases rapidly with frequency in that range, and the distortion harmonics are higher frequency - mostly twice the fundamental. It is less audible with the Crack because the Mainline signal voltage at the tube output is much greater due to the output transformer.

A number of artificial signals have been documented in the literature which bring out low-level distortions like this. These small distortions are usually not audible with music, which is almost never a sine wave, and almost never a single, unvarying tone. SETs have many audible virtues, but low measured distortion is not one of them.

Paul Joppa

Offline AllanMarcus

• Mainlining my way to bliss
    • My DIY Site
Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 05:49:20 AM
It's a single-ended triode (SET) amp, with no feedback, so it does have a bit of distortion - mostly second harmonic. It is more audible with low frequency sine waves because the ear's sensitivity increases rapidly with frequency in that range, and the distortion harmonics are higher frequency - mostly twice the fundamental. It is less audible with the Crack because the Mainline signal voltage at the tube output is much greater due to the output transformer.

A number of artificial signals have been documented in the literature which bring out low-level distortions like this. These small distortions are usually not audible with music, which is almost never a sine wave, and almost never a single, unvarying tone. SETs have many audible virtues, but low measured distortion is not one of them.

Excellent explanation! Many thanks.

To my ear the Mainline sounds wonderful. I was just curious about this anomaly.

This space for rent