Reminder: Input voltage is important!

physicsmajor · 942

Offline physicsmajor

on: June 23, 2018, 02:30:17 PM
This has been reported before and I do recall participating in the discussion, but I subsequently forgot.  After a recent move, my mains voltage is no longer ideal; depending on how many air conditioners are running in the area, it can sag down to and below 112 VAC.

The BeePre does not like this.  From tests with a variac, my mains is on the razor edge and below about 113V my right channel throws a fit and emits a loud, obtrusive buzz.

Fortunately my variac can go over line voltage and has a built in meter, so it's now semi permanently installed feeding the BeePre.  Slight adjustment to 120V and back to whisper quiet.  There's a definite sharp threshold where this happens, it's not gradual.

Thought it was worth posting this again since I couldn't find the old thread, and it really should be one of the standard troubleshooting steps.  For some reason my BeePre's right channel throws a fit first, and it doesn't follow a tube, so it mimics other issues where you'd usually be looking for a cold joint or similar.