Other Gear > Headphones

Audeze LCD 4 - Which amp?

(1/12) > >>

Deke609:
Hi all - what Bottlehead amp would you recommend for the Audeze LCD 4 (200 ohms)?  I think I saw a post from Doc B. suggesting that the Crack, with a 5998 in place of the 6080, can be paired with cans having a input impedance as low as 70 ohms.  But I've read on other forums that the LCD 4s are power hungry - so I'm not sure if this would be a good paring.  I built a heavily modded Crack w/Speedball (w/ Tung Sol 5998) and love it, and so will try it with the LCD 4s for sure, but do others think another amp would be superior - e..g., S.E.X.? - perhaps even a Kaiju or Stereoamour if they can can be modded for output to cans?

I have no technical or theoretical knowledge about audio circuits and the like - just a guy that loves good sound and DIY soldering projects :)

thanks in advance,

Derek

Doc B.:
S.E.X. is a sure bet. Mainline might have enough power, but I have not tried it with the LCD4. Another sure thing would be the Neothoriator. I do have one available.

Deke609:
Many thanks Doc.

The Neo is intriguing but outside my price range. So the S.E.X. it is.  But I am still concerned about driving the LCD 4s to their full potential. 

What do people think about running dual S.E.X. monoblocks, one for left channel and one for right?  Is that doable? Maybe with gross and fine attenuators on both to get matching volume?

If the dual monoblock approach makes sense, my next question is: Do I get and build 1 S.E.X. now in stereo configuration to see how its sounds, and then convert to monoblock if I think the headphones need more power, or just build the dual monoblock configuration from the get go?  Would the conversion from stereo to monoblock be an entire rebuild with newly sourced parts? If yes, I'd rather just start with the dual monoblock project. 

many thanks again,

Derek

Doc B.:
Start with one. It's probably plenty of power. If you feel you must have more power you could build a Stereomour II with DC filament supply and make up a binding post to whatever-your-headphone-connector-is adapter

Deke609:
Thanks Doc.  Order for S.E.X. placed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version