Bottlehead race sponsorship

Doc B. · 5762

Offline caffeinator

The musings about a nice straight stretch of road reminded me of this story from a while back:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/mrs-orcutts-driveway-204-mph-on-a-double-nickel-road-page-1

Looks like as of 2015, Mrs Orcutt and her house were no more, but sounds as though the road still exists.

Offline G.Kennedy

Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 10:07:40 AM
Here is the bike in M-PS fuel class. As you can see. The fairing is minimal. Just enough to get in the class. He has a bigger one. But it goes slower with the extra surface area.

This was the 126 mph configuration.

Offline G.Kennedy

Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 10:10:05 AM
Here is how we start it. No starter, stator, or battery. Uses a tiny LiPo for ignition. Recharges off the bike.

Offline G.Kennedy

Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 10:14:01 AM
Here are the La Scalas. I run them with a modded Sonic Impact T-amp. About 8watts I think.

Plenty loud. We never get to full volume. Running off battery power so we don’t need to overcome the noise of a generator.

Offline G.Kennedy

Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 10:17:18 AM
And lastly. My trusty Sex amp. Stock with upgraded caps into my HD 600’s. Pulling long hours of duty right now as I had spine surgery yesterday morning.

I’ll get the Paramounts and BeePre fired up tonight when I can move more.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #35 on: September 11, 2018, 10:30:24 AM
Wow, I can see a lot of development in there. Love the clipons forward of the top triple to get the arms more straight like a time trial bicycle rider- something I had in mind. Front fender is slick too. Saw someone using a pit bike as a starter roller at BMST. Do you have any pics of Mark on the track?

I remember well your audio projects from several years ago. I wonder if you might enjoy a Quickie/Quicksand running those La Scalas.
Hope your recovery goes as easily as possible!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline G.Kennedy

Reply #36 on: September 11, 2018, 10:57:58 AM
I don’t really have any track photos as I am generally getting the bump start bike swung up on the bumper and chasing him.

He lays up all the fiberglass in his shop. The gas tank is a cover. Over a 1 gallon nylon tank.

How many watts do I get out of a Quickie/Quicksand. Never really thought of that.

I still need to install the upgrade in my BeePre. Built it stock at first.

And have always considered going to 2A3 on my Paramounts. As I don’t need all the power the 300B gives me. I’ve lived with the small amount of hiss as I listen louder than I should. And love the 300B power. But I imagine I’d get less hiss with 2A3.

Always something to play around with.

But back on topic. Get down here in Nov. Run the event and you can hand deliver the quickie!!!

Offline G.Kennedy

Reply #38 on: September 11, 2018, 01:18:36 PM
Unfortunately this is currently not available. But a must have for any audio/motor head. Worth finding. Or I can burn it if it is unobtanium.

https://www.amazon.com/Open-Pipe-Symphony-Various/dp/B00000J70U

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #39 on: September 18, 2018, 05:33:48 PM
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:24:41 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Deluk

Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 02:50:27 AM
Nice article Doc, well done. Next time, beg, borrow or steal some well fitted, tight, racing leathers. They might have got you over 90 this time. Weight reduction always helps too but there is only one way to do that with a standard bike.  ;)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 03:52:31 AM
Yeah I have lost weight since I got those leathers, and it's time to go back down a size or maybe just get them altered. They will roll over from Snell 2010 to Snell 2015 helmets next year so that means a new Shoei X-14 too (cripes they are expensive). It's been three weeks so naturally I already have the bike completely reconfigured in my head to run fuel class next year - three spoke wheels, adjustable clipons, lose the lights, aero fender, 6" rearsets, seat 3" back, tanks for gas, nitrous and alcohol injection, crossover pipe, beefier oil pump, lighter valves, titanium keepers, beefier clutch, etc., etc. I suspect I'll need to get to at least 110 to record in 350 M-CF which means finding around 20hp. Tricky, but possible. Option 2 is look for more low hanging fruit in a different class and get a different bike. Already have my eye on one possibility.

When you crunch the aero/hp/speed numbers weight reduction has about the least impact. Reduced frontal area is way more influential, as is reducing drag coefficient. My estimated speed was pretty accurate using about 555lbs, .7 Cd, 6 sq ft frontal area. Figuring about a 20% hp loss at 5000 ft I would have been putting out about 25.5hp, which would have put me right about 90 mph. I was up to speed at the timed mile even with a semi-slipping clutch, so I was probably OK in terms of accelerating my mass in the run up. Running 50 lbs lighter would have gotten me to maybe 90.1, but reducing frontal area by 0.5 sq.ft. could get me close to 93. So tighter leathers and getting more tucked and skinny are probably more useful than chopping weight off the bike, for sure.

Look up Alp Sungerteken. He just ran 173.33 against a 123.869 record in SCTA 650 M-VF, on a naked 1950 Triumph 650 running nitro. Holy s**t!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 06:06:31 AM
I'm on vacation, and we spent yesterday in the Greek National Archeological Museum. Here's wikipedia on an example of reduced rider weight for speed, from about 150BC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jockey_of_Artemision

:^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 06:11:58 AM
I just got off the phone with Brian Calvert at KOMO. Interview should be on the radio this morning, and posted on the KOMO website later today.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 08:01:26 AM
KIRO radio interview next, with Dori Monson. This is pretty crazy!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.