TRT Wonder Solder (Resolved)

Banzaiburrito · 3722

Offline Banzaiburrito

• New Bottlehead 🤪
on: August 24, 2018, 10:06:42 PM
Hi - This is my first post so I hope I’m in the correct zone...

I have my first kit on order and just completing some shopping for necessary bits..  I purchase all of my hi-fi accessories through a company in England called Russ Andrews (no affiliation just good first hand experience)  As well as selling Kimber Kable they make their own mains products and various component upgrades. 

Russ highly recommends the use of TRT Wonder Solder  Ultraclear for its sound properties and the team uses this on everything they make.  I note from the attached data sheet that the flux is noted as ‘water soluble’ not Rosin.  Do you think this would be appropriate for my build? They recommend it but  Your instructions recommend Rosin flux...

Many thanks and kind regards
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:39:41 PM by Banzaiburrito »

Bottlehead Crack
Musical Fidelity M1 Dac
Sennheiser HD650
Kimber cables
Russ Andrews mains leads and conditioning

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 06:58:48 AM
Wonder is my favorite solder.  Flows like hot butter.  It is rosin core, just water soluble rosin.  Just  make sure you get the old leaded solder, not lead-free.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Banzaiburrito

• New Bottlehead 🤪
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 09:13:26 AM
Hi Geary

Thanks for your response on this. Is it the ‘Old Wonder Solder Ultraclear’ that you use? (As per the top of the attached list).  That’s the one that Russ Andrews has recommended.

Kind regards

James

Bottlehead Crack
Musical Fidelity M1 Dac
Sennheiser HD650
Kimber cables

Offline Banzaiburrito

• New Bottlehead 🤪
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 12:04:18 AM
I just tried the wonder solder on a Velleman kit as a trial / practice and the joints were very cloudy in appearance.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. By comparison I switched to some lead free I had and the joints were much brighter.  Thanks.

Bottlehead Crack
Musical Fidelity M1 Dac
Sennheiser HD650
Kimber cables

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 05:12:38 AM
Are you 100% sure you got the leaded version?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Banzaiburrito

• New Bottlehead 🤪
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 05:23:02 AM
Sorry for a poorly drafted post....  I’m not sure if the wonder solder was leaded or lead free, however when I ran out of that I used another anonymous brand which was lead free for sure.

The wonder solder was bright when hot but soon clouded as it cooled, i was sure to not move the components or breath on the joint...  The lead free solder achieved a much brighter and glossier joint.  Still a bit of a barstool to use. 

I’m glad I chose to try it out, my soldering skills are clearly rusty! I’ve ordered some 63 / 37 to see how that works and some more practice kits.

Bottlehead Crack
Musical Fidelity M1 Dac
Sennheiser HD650
Kimber cables

Offline Banzaiburrito

• New Bottlehead 🤪
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 07:01:03 AM
Just a thought after doing some research.  The Wonder solder was about 1mm thick and due to the nature of the novelty kit I was building, I’d chosen my 25w iron with cone tip.  Perhaps the Wonder Solder needed a bit more thermal muscle!?

Bottlehead Crack
Musical Fidelity M1 Dac
Sennheiser HD650
Kimber cables

Offline Banzaiburrito

• New Bottlehead 🤪
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 11:43:43 PM
It’s a shame that TRT don’t advertise any specifications for their Wonder Solder.  It’s meant to be mutts wotnotts but why would you choose it if you don’t know the specifics??  I reached deep into my pockets and paid for some Kester 44 leaded to be shipped from the Other side of the Atlantic!!

Bottlehead Crack
Musical Fidelity M1 Dac
Sennheiser HD650
Kimber cables

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 05:35:05 AM
Kester 44 is good stuff!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

4krow

Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 03:17:07 PM
Funny thing, I have used Wonder solder for years, just because it has such good results for me. The lead free solders are not my favorite. I tried some Cardas solder that I got from eBay, but I doubt that it was the real thing. It was really crappy solder. When you find what you like, stick with it.