Quickie subwoofer question

aragorn723 · 1890

Offline aragorn723

on: August 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM
I want to hook up a B&W sub to the Quickie.  Is it ok to split just one of the outputs with a y adapter and send it to the sub, or should 2 be used?

Dave

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 07:29:30 PM
Best to sum both channels, since the bass is still in stereo.

(Well, OK, older vinyl records often blended the deep bass to mono, but you can't count on it - especially with more recent recordings.)

Most sub amps have stereo line-level inputs, and the amp will sum the channels internally. If yours doesn't, look up this thread on the Audio Asylum:  https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/tubediy/messages/26/264261.html

Paul Joppa

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 02:51:41 AM
Perfect, thanks.  I think the sub has a left and right input.  I'll try that.

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 05:45:16 AM
If the sub has a speaker level input, I would recommend that connection over the line level option when using a Quickie.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aholata

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 05:26:10 AM
I just contemplated this same question last week and almost asked about it here but turned to google instead, when i got some Omega Speakers Stick 6's in test. These have active hemp sub's in bottom half.

Some higher end subwoofer and sub/speakers combo manufacturers recommend to use high-level input, gives you better sync with main speakers thus a better sound quality.

-Tatu-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 06:35:17 AM
A lot of active subwoofers have very low input impedance, so moving this load to the power amp instead of the preamp can improve system performance.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man