Do fancy strippers work?

ironbut · 10412

Offline ironbut

on: October 04, 2010, 07:27:29 PM
I was watching a tutorial the other day and more than anything else, I realized just how much better the guy's wire stripper worked than mine. Actually, I have a couple of Klein (I think) basic strippers that I've had for eons. Most of the time I use 18-22 AWG teflon insulated solid core wire so I keep one adjusted to the smaller end of the spectrum and the other to the larger sizes (and/or a breakaway type knife).
So, I'm thinking of buying one of the "self adjusting" strippers like the Irwin and I just wanted to see what you guys think?

Of course, ever since I watched that video I've been convincing myself that my strippers are getting dull. Do I really need it? Or is it just another case of "tool envy"?

steve koto

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 01:47:48 AM
I had a pair of "self adjusting" wire strippers.  They didn't work for me so I threw them out.

I now use one from Harbor Freight that has openings for each wire size I use.  It strips the wire well.  Not like like the Kline strippers I have.  This one you squeeze and it strips the wire from the jaws forward.

This has been used quite a bit on the Teflon wire.  I think Paully can verify it works most of the time.  Probably not always, Teflon is slippery.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:19:15 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline xcortes

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 05:35:19 AM
Ah, oh, you're talking about tools! When I read fancy strippers I thought something else. Ok, back to reality.

Xavier Cortes

Offline coca

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 06:16:52 AM
Sometimes some of the self adjusting ones won't trim the teflon insulated wires.

Bernie.

Offline ironbut

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 07:38:52 AM
Ah, oh, you're talking about tools! When I read fancy strippers I thought something else. Ok, back to reality.

I thought about the subject header after I posted it.
Maybe something like " Are fancy strippers worth the extra money?" would've been better?

I can always count on you Xavier!

steve koto

Offline Mudhiker

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 03:44:19 PM
The best kind of stripper, for maintaining the integrity of the wire (avoiding nicking) is a thermal stripper.  But it's messy and stinky, and you have little curls of melted plastic to trim off.  For mechanical stripping, the Ideal Stripmaster is good if you know how to use it properly.  I wouldn't touch the harbor freight knock-offs with a three meter pole, but I am a former 2M tech and my personal solder station is a Pace PRC 2000, which is sort of the Snap-On of portable rework tools.  Yes, fancy strippers are great, as are nice comfy $50 diagonal cutters, especially if you are going to be using them all day long.  Buy the best you can afford, take care of them, and your hands will thank you.

Good tools are always nice, and I never feel bad spending extra money to get good quality.

Isaac Gorton

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:19:46 AM
You probably shouldn't use a thermal stripper with Teflon wire as the gas is poisonous.

I had bookmarked the HF stripper.  It isn't stocked anymore.  I can say that it does sometimes nip solid wire.  I mistakenly bought the metric model.  I think the AWG model would work fine.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:37:25 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline ironbut

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:12:19 AM
Thanks you guys.
It looks like the Ideal Stripmaster is the one I saw in that YouTube video. Maybe I'll give that one a try.

steve koto

Offline corndog71

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 04:26:55 PM
I use common nail clippers to strip small wires.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Mudhiker

Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 05:33:27 PM
As Corndog71 points out, you can use just about anything (just don't use your teeth!! You'll groove them) as long as the end result is proper.

Isaac Gorton

Offline ironbut

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 09:27:16 AM

I do love me some nicely made/designed tools though. It's kinda weird that most of my electronics tools are a bad assortment of Home Depot/Fry's Electronics/RS sale rack stuff.
That nail clipper idea is a good one instead of using the breakaway knife that I use for those tough to strip wires. I'll give that a try too.

steve koto

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 07:55:02 AM
I have the Irwin one and I hate it. It doesn't cut through teflon and cuts through strands when you're stripping something with soft copper.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline howardnair

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 04:19:16 PM
well!!--you could call it work--or it works for me--but since its wire we are stripping--no get the simple ones--i use the ones that you dial with your thumb 14 gauge to 22 or 24gauge -- yellow handles--

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 09:51:54 AM
For teflon (and most others) I like the CK Tools adjustable stripper that goes from 20 to 30 awg, and the Klaus no-niks.  I ended up sellihng all my no-niks as they just became too uncomfortable to use, but the CK strippers are wonderful.  I have a small pile of auto strippers from no-names to AMP, Amphenol, and Ideal, and they are fine for larger gauges with pvc insulation, but terrible for teflon and cotton.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 04:32:48 PM
I have the Ideal Stripmaster I got used on eBay and it does fine for me.  What I am seeking is a wire stripper for shielded wire.  Any suggestions for a best tool for leaving the silver plated copper weave intact?  Or just use a large gauge setting and be gentle (i.e. work on my technique)? 

P.S. Not that I know myself, but I have friends who tell me yes they do, and for every dollar.

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!