Troubleshooting resistance at point 44 and 45

Bryce · 1009

Offline Bryce

on: September 02, 2018, 12:46:34 PM
I finally got around to building the stereomore II kit recently with an overall smooth build.  While checking resistances, everything checked out except 44U and 45U where I read OL on my meter for both pins where the other * points for measure ranged above 7M-15M.  Tab 45U measured the same instead of 0 ohms.  Any advice is welcomed- could the capacitor be bad?  Solder joints double/triple checked and no obvious errors seen.

I get up every morning determined both to change the world and to have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning the day difficult.

-E.B. White, writer (1899-1985)

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 04:38:44 PM
"Also, the values signified with a * are going to vary from ohmmeter to ohmmeter because these terminals are connected to the filter capacitors, which try to charge themselves off the battery in the meter, causing a fluctuating reading. If the circuit is connected properly these readings will wander in the tens or hundreds of KQ or higher range."

46 is 0 ohms on mine.  It's grounded to the top plate.

Don't sweat the * values.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 04:41:21 PM
Tab 45U measured the same instead of 0 ohms.  Any advice is welcomed- could the capacitor be bad?  Solder joints double/triple checked and no obvious errors seen.
Terminal 45 is also marked with a *.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Bryce

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 05:56:40 AM
Thank you for the clarification and I do appreciate the help; however, 45U is reading as an open lead “OL” on my meter, where all of my other ground leads read 0.2-0.6 ohms.  This is really my concern because that doesn’t make sense when the adjacent capacitor reads 0 ohms on the negative lead (41U).  I would expect similar ground state readings.  I don’t have a spare cap to test this through substitution and there is no physical damage to the cap. Solder joints have been thoroughly checked.

I guess what I am looking for is what damage can occur if the cap is bad. How can both I verify and safely proceed to powering the unit to test voltages when the manual clearly states not to proceed to powering the unit if all of the resistance checks don’t pass.  “If a terminal was listed as 0 ohms, and measured greater than 1 ohm, DO NO PROCEED” (p46).

I get up every morning determined both to change the world and to have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning the day difficult.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 09:00:52 AM
Terminal 45 is not grounded and should not read 0 ohms.

The two capacitors on that terminal strip are in series.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Bryce

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 05:34:34 PM
Thanks for verifying- I’ll move forward on voltage testing then listening to music...