What version of SEX?

johnvb · 1296

Offline johnvb

on: August 27, 2018, 03:32:42 PM
Haven't posted here in a while. Was originally using a SEX amp that I build to drive some HE speakers, then later moved on to lower efficiency speakers, and different amps.

Recently dusted off the Bottlehead amp to use to drive some headphones when chilling at our RV campsite. Will be using A Samsung S7 phone for the source (Spotify and FLAC files). Headphones are Audio Technica ath-m40xs.

I was wondering which version I might have and if any upgrades were still available for it. Built the amp in the summer or fall of 2009. Thanks

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 04:48:23 PM
The original SEX was a pair of monoblocks which came out in 1996. The next version was 2.0 and was a stereo amp, dated 2004. Version 2.1 came out in 2012, and version 3.0 in 2017. So you probably have version 2.0.

The biggest change is the new iron (plate chokes and output transformers). If you post a picture of the iron, we can confirm which version you have. If you still have the stock v.2.0 iron, there is an upgrade kit - it should give you about an octave deeper bass.

The C4S upgrade for the driver stage is worthwhile, but I think the v.2.0 kit is out of production. Do you have the original v2.0 C4S kit installed?

Paul Joppa

Offline johnvb

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 01:23:41 AM
Hey Paul. Unfortunately I didn't add the C4S kit at the time, or any other upgrades (other than some Cardas binding posts). I'll post a picture in a couple of days as the amp is in the RV, 40 miles away from where I'm sitting, but I go there weekly.

I also have a spare Goldpoint step volume control not being used, maybe replace the stock one with that ? And one last question. If I upgrade the iron with your kit, does that make the amp a 2.1, thus the ability to add a 2.1 C4s kit? Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:52:39 AM by johnvb »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 04:15:47 AM
The layout and circuit are different between 2.0 and 2.1, so while the iron upgrade is a huge step forward for sonics, the SEX C4S manual still won't be correct for the version of the amp that you have.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnvb

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 06:55:43 AM
The layout and circuit are different between 2.0 and 2.1, so while the iron upgrade is a huge step forward for sonics, the SEX C4S manual still won't be correct for the version of the amp that you have.

Thanks. It was worth a shot askin.  ;D

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 11:25:37 AM

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline johnvb

Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 12:12:07 PM
Thanks!