Right Channel Seems Louder [NOT QUITE RESOLVED]

oguinn · 1841

Online oguinn

Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 05:00:53 AM
Alright, new issue. I'm occasionally getting some slight static on the right channel. I plugged my iPhone directly into the SEX amp to make sure it wasn't the Quickie and the issue persists.

I flipped the amp over (shocking myself in the process because I was being careless - good time to remind everyone to observe proper safety protocol) and played music through some crappy headphones while prodding around with a wooden chopstick. There was no non-music noise while flipped over (except a light "wooshing" sound when the amp started, which I assume was the tube warming up).

The amp is in a corner with no wifi devices near it. I've been turning my phone to airplane mode (it's an iPhone, so I was sure to turn off all the radios) and just playing downloaded music. I don't think it's a wifi or cellular noise.

Is it the case that tubes will sometimes make some staticky noises during burn-in? Anything else I should try?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 10:49:36 AM
Is it the case that tubes will sometimes make some staticky noises during burn-in? Anything else I should try?
They can indeed make some noise until the cathodes form and the getter wakes up. It's usually best to reserve judgment on a tube until it has maybe 50 hours of play time. You could try cleaning the pins.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Online oguinn

Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 03:55:32 PM
Makes sense. Thanks!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball