Random static on left channel

Sawgolf4me · 860

Offline Sawgolf4me

on: September 07, 2018, 11:32:26 AM
Hello,

I am getting random static on the left channel of my Beepre. I went through and resoldered every joint. Then it went away for maybe 2 weeks and now it is back just as before. The static doesn't change with volume, but it will gradually get louder and then suddenly go away. Any ideas?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 11:36:29 AM
It's probably the 300B. Mine do that occasionally. Try cleaning the pins. Sometimes I can get it to stop by tapping on the offending tube, but most often it goes away as the preamp warms up

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline rockpassion

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 03:54:24 PM
Like Doc I too find my 300b's to have static.  However, the static only disappears when I move the tube around or remove them and clean all the pins and contacts.  Both methods have worked.  Cleaning with Deoxit kept the static away for over a year.  It is back and have to reclean soon. 

I also tried (very carefully) expanding the contacts so they get a better grip on the pins.  This helped a little but cleaning worked the best. 

Keep us posted with regards to what works best.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Sawgolf4me

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 11:33:08 AM
You guys are right. It is the 300B pin interface. I went through and sanded the pins, but I couldn't get down into the socket. How'd you guys do that?

So, then I put it all back together and tested and the static was gone. But then I noticed I didn't but the orange o-rings back on. When I put those back on, the static came right back. So, then I took them off and put the 300Bs back on. No more static.

So, it looks like it is an engagement issue with the pins of the 300B and the socket. Is there any way to adjust those?

Offline jjvornov

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 11:48:35 AM
I had a similar problem with one channel of the BeePre. It's easy to squeeze the metal band of receptacle for the pins from below so they grab the pins more firmly. One pin receptacle had actually failed so that metal band that forms the pin receptacle was separated from the ceramic. I eventually replaced the whole ceramic socket and completely solved the problem.

James