Should I paint the shields? Can I?

oguinn · 1381

Offline oguinn

on: October 07, 2018, 04:56:40 AM
Getting ready to paint the metal parts today. I know pieces like the bells should be painted, but what about the shields?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Tom-s

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 05:29:02 AM
I would think you can paint the tube shields. But it's not a must.
For my Mainline i found a pair of exactly the same tube shields in black via an online seller (eb*y).

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 05:40:15 AM
What color are you looking to paint them?

You can buy anodized tube shields, and the anodized layer will not cook off like paint will.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 05:45:29 AM
I was thinking a metallic flake green, but you tangentially answered the question behind my question, which was "will the heat from the tubes peel the paint from the shields?", which seems to be the case. I'll look for some anodized ones. Thanks!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 05:49:57 AM
There are green shields available here, but the current shields are way better looking with an even, glossy finish.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/tube-shield-9-pin-miniature-aluminum-multiple-colors

I have had success powder coating tube shields in the past and not having the heat bake it off.  I don't think the 6922 tubes will get hot enough to peel your paint off, but its really hard to say with absolute certainty.  If you wanted to do something like this in a Mainline, I would be more confident that your paint would fail.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 05:54:27 AM
Ok, got it. It doesn't seem like I have much to lose just giving it a shot since the shields aren't too pricey if the paint does flake.

I haven't found anyone around here (St. Louis, MO area) who will do reasonably priced powder coating. I think the company that I checked into for my SEX chassis and bell wanted $175 to do a flat white. I would have loved to have gone that route instead of spray painting.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 06:01:44 AM
You are welcome to mail them to me.  I charge $150 less than that guy, but there are shipping costs.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline caffeinator

Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 07:18:39 AM
I've painted the shields on my Seduction and Reduction phono amps (black or flat black) with great results - the paint hasn't come off after years of use and even leaving them on for extended periods of time.  Nothing magic about the process; make sure the shields are clean prior to painting, follow label instructions, and enjoy.