Shielding with Mumetal and Copper

Guest · 3456

Offline Jamier

Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 05:29:07 AM
Yeah, you need to put the flux band on, then varnish over it and the transformer to keep it in place

What kind of varnish? Regular old Man O' War spar varnish or something more specific for electrical applications. Do you need to dip the whole trans or just brush on a few coats?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #31 on: October 11, 2018, 06:04:11 AM

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Deke609

Reply #32 on: October 13, 2018, 09:43:12 AM
So, I put a layer of copper (wired to ground) and a layer of mu metal ("MCF5" foil) around the signal wires running from the rca ins to first attenuator.  And while I was at it I also put a U-shaped copper/MCF5 shield between the newly shielded signal wires and the OT-2 - it wraps around the sides of the OT, well away from any contacts, and is separated from the signal wire shielding by a cut-open piece of shrink tubing.

[WARNING: What follows are my purely subjective impressions and could very well be entirely imaginary and the product of self-suggestion -- in which case I say Hooray for the power of self-suggestion, because I like what I hear!]

I immediately noticed that music sounds "faster" and more energetic.  There also seems to be some additional detail and clarity. No other changes noticed.

Pretty cool.

cheers,

Derek
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 09:53:57 AM by Deke609 »