DIY Desktop

jtori · 1446

Offline jtori

on: October 23, 2018, 01:39:14 PM
Just completed the Mainline.  It resides alongside the Crack (Speedballed), which I completed earlier this year.  The Mainline sounds sublime, and the Crack -- the distinct sonic character of which I continue to be enamored of -- isn't going anywhere. 

Anyway, here are a few images of my recently reorganized DIY desktop:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 01:37:01 PM by jtori »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 02:22:47 PM
You did a good job of getting those bases to blend with your existing cabinetry, well done!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Deke609

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 02:25:28 PM
I was just about to say the same thing.  Very nice! 

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 02:30:50 PM
Nice pics!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:57:24 PM
Neat set up

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline jtori

Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 01:36:14 AM
You did a good job of getting those bases to blend with your existing cabinetry, well done!

Thank you, Paul.  And, thanks for the diagnosis guidance you provided. 

I wanted to achieve hues in the same family as that of my office furniture.  I used Old Village gel stain and gel clear varnish.  The stain is varnish with tint.  Because the stain and varnish are applied in thin coats, I was able to manage the outcome to some extent.  I found that applying the first coat of varnish after staining lifted some of the color.  But, because the two share the same base, it is possible to apply stain over the varnish.  Once I got the color I wanted, I applied three or four more coats of varnish.  Once cured, I hit it with 0000 steel wool and a few coats of Minwax paste wax. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 12:57:06 AM by jtori »

Offline jtori

Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 01:36:53 AM

Offline jtori

Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 01:45:04 AM
Nice pics!

Thanks, Doc.  Not my best work.  These are straight out of my iPhone camera.

BTW, loving both the Crack and Mainline.  I actually contemplating selling my longtime ARC, Maggie main rig and building a complete BH system.  There's something very therapeutic and satisfying about DIY.

Best,

Joe. 

Offline jtori

Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 01:45:29 AM
I was just about to say the same thing.  Very nice!

Thank you, Derek.

Joe.

Offline Deluk

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 02:19:02 AM
Just adding a plus 1 to the likes, that does look very integrated and neat. Can I ask what music player program you are using there, please?

Offline jtori

Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 02:45:25 AM
Just adding a plus 1 to the likes, that does look very integrated and neat. Can I ask what music player program you are using there, please?

Hi Deluk,  I am using JRiver Media Center 24.  Best,  Joe.

Offline adydula

Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 03:28:44 AM
Nice build! Glad your enjoying the BH amps!

I have both as well and they just work so well with my HD600's, Beyer T1's, T90's etc....

I have 9+ amps now and I mostly use the BH Mainline and Crack.....they just pair so very well and give you a really nice musical presentation.

Been using Jriver for ages now as well interface and I always liked their little blue light indicator for bit-perfect set up.

Enjoy!
Alex

Offline Deluk

Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 01:35:02 AM
Thanks for the JRiver info.

Offline jtori

Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 01:38:13 PM
Nice build! Glad your enjoying the BH amps!

I have both as well and they just work so well with my HD600's, Beyer T1's, T90's etc....

I have 9+ amps now and I mostly use the BH Mainline and Crack.....they just pair so very well and give you a really nice musical presentation.

Been using Jriver for ages now as well interface and I always liked their little blue light indicator for bit-perfect set up.

Enjoy!
Alex

Thank you, Alex.  You are certainly well outfitted.  Do you have an end-game headphone recommendation for use with the Mainline?  I've been seriously contemplating the Sennheiser HD800S.  I've got the HD600, Audeze LCD2C, Oppo PM3, Grado GS2000e and Grado RS2e.

Thanks,

Joe.