16 ohm OPT 8.Ohm Speakers

galyons · 966

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
on: June 06, 2019, 07:09:42 AM
I am considering a 45 tube build with Magnequest EX046 OPT's.  My mid & tweeter horns are 8 Ohm, but the OPT's are 16 Ohm. Google searches say "shouldn't be a problem!", but I would put far more faith in the expertise here!  Thoughts, comments?

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 07:29:48 AM
The point where the difference comes into play in terms of sonic penalty (when there is one at all) is the bass range. Bass can get a little more wooly with that kind of mismatch. Or not, it really depends upon the system. On a mid and tweeter the difference shouldn't be noticeable.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 06:57:36 PM
The point where the difference comes into play in terms of sonic penalty (when there is one at all) is the bass range. Bass can get a little more wooly with that kind of mismatch. Or not, it really depends upon the system. On a mid and tweeter the difference shouldn't be noticeable.

Thanks Doc! That is great!  Currently the plan is too use the amp for the mid & tweeter horns.  I may give it a try!!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's