Right Channel Issue, Continued...

oguinn · 5244

Offline oguinn

Reply #60 on: December 01, 2018, 04:47:04 PM
Awesome. I’m looking forward to a harsh critique of my soldering technique.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline oguinn

Reply #61 on: January 16, 2019, 08:06:39 AM
Hey Doc,

Just received my repaired SEX. It works great! Thanks to the team.

I didn't see any notes on what was repaired, however. Could whoever fixed let me know what they did to get it running right so I can be on the lookout in future builds?

Thanks!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #62 on: January 16, 2019, 08:36:47 AM
I think maybe Terry did that one. He is primarily our Nagra tech and thus not usually doing the Bottlehead repairs, so he may have forgotten to include a note. I want to say he replaced the headphone jack, but I could be thinking of another repair. I will ask him when he is in tomorrow.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #63 on: January 16, 2019, 08:45:40 AM
Holy crap, if it was just the headphone jack I’m going to cry. I never even considered testing through speakers as well.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #64 on: January 16, 2019, 08:57:35 AM
I could have the wrong info. Let me get the story tomorrow.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #65 on: January 16, 2019, 08:59:33 AM
Thanks, Doc.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #66 on: May 09, 2019, 11:17:47 AM
Wanted to follow up with the conclusion of the story here to provide a cautionary tale to anyone troubleshooting an amp.

I finished my Crack amp today and gave the first listen with my old, shitty headphones just in case I had messed something up so I didn't blow my HD-650s. Fired everything up and got no sound out of the right ear. Turned the amp off, checked all the connections. Then I remembered that I'd used this set of headphones to test my non-functional SEX before sending it in.

I switched to an old pair of Sennheiser 598s I had laying around and everything's fine. Turns out that my Crack's right channel issue, and probably my SEX's right channel issue, were due to a blown set of headphones.

Two takeaways:
  • Always troubleshoot with a shitty set of headphones. I blew the right channel in the bad headphones when troubleshooting. Better those than my 650s.
  • Get two sets of shitty headphones.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:27:08 AM by oguinn »

Jameson O'Guinn

-