Kit Assembly Gallery

Paul Birkeland · 22185

Offline oguinn

Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 10:21:34 AM
Is it the case that you built and glued up the base, then just left it in the dye for a week? Or were there multiple soaking sessions? I've never used a dye before but I'm considering something different for the Kaiju/BeePre (and eventually Eros). I've been staining and finishing a scrap piece of alder over the past week to see what I want but haven't found anything I liked yet.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 11:57:27 AM
If I could have made enough dye to submerge the wood, I would've considered it!  Instead it was a brush application several times a day for many days until it didn't get any darker.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 12:43:19 PM
Got it. My biggest issue is getting the tung oil finish to look right. I've done it correctly one time and the other times have been disappointing.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline jtori

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 01:33:14 AM
Here's a black Crack I just completed.  The owner wanted the base to match some other components and furniture with a black ash finish, so I built a base out of ash and soaked it in black dye over the course of about a week.

That looks awesome!

Joe.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 05:55:48 AM
Here's a black Crack I just completed.  The owner wanted the base to match some other components and furniture with a black ash finish, so I built a base out of ash and soaked it in black dye over the course of about a week.

Lovely job Paul, especially that wood base.  A quick tip for the screws, dip the heads into some Birchwood Casey Perma Blue and they will instantly blend in.

M.McCandless

Offline jgarr4714

Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 07:44:50 AM
Love that black finished Crack.  Woodworking has been my main hobby for years and I have had good luck at ebonizing oak and ash with a simple process. Obtain some black dye from a woodworker’s store, a water or alcohol base dye works equally well, but may have to re-sand if the water base raises the grain.  Apply 2-4 coats of dye, let it set for at least a day then apply a standard black stain (like Minwax ebony).  As a finish coat rub in some Tried & True varnish oil, the more coats you add the glossier it gets.  Adding the standard black stain helps pop the grain and give it an ebony like appearance.

Jim G.

Jim Garrett

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: June 19, 2020, 10:25:31 AM
Here is a Kaiju I built for personal use.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Deke609

Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 10:59:27 AM
Now that's a fine looking amp. I like the combo of black metal with deep brown wood sides.

Very nice, Derek

Offline oguinn

Reply #23 on: June 19, 2020, 12:30:40 PM
Are those covers sitting over the regular transformers or are there custom parts i there? If it’s the former… where can we get those?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #24 on: June 19, 2020, 01:11:45 PM
Yes, they are covers that fit over the transformers.  No, they will not work on a stock Kaiju plate.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Deluk

Reply #25 on: June 20, 2020, 01:08:43 AM
Touch of the Quad II's there. Very smart.

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 06:04:29 AM
A lot of nice builds Paul! you are busy!

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: June 22, 2020, 06:29:38 AM
A lot of nice builds Paul! you are busy!
That's at least partially your fault!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 07:32:57 PM
And a purple Crack.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #29 on: June 30, 2020, 06:12:25 AM
I didn't have much faith when I saw that purple heart lumber. I stand corrected, that looks really nice!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.