Solder/Desolder

Jamier · 2383

Offline Jamier

on: March 14, 2019, 07:01:01 AM
Can anyone recommend a solder station that also has an effective desolder function. I'm finding that I need the desolder function more often lately and  copper wick isn't working very well, especially on PCBs. It would be great to find one that doesn't break the bank, but I do understand that you get what you pay for.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 11:55:49 AM
I like this one, I find it much easier to use then a separate solder sucker, 23 bucks...John

https://www.parts-express.com/ecg-j-045-ds-45-watt-desoldering-iron--372-202

John Scanlon

Offline Jamier

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 06:38:07 PM
John,

Thanks for that. For 23 bucks I can't wrong. I'm going to order that now.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 06:08:59 AM
Man, I can't stand that type of solder sucker.  The bulb doesn't provide enough suction and you end up with a really large, awkward, hot item.

I have used these for the last 5 or so years, and you can heat up the joint, lift the iron off, then suck the solder away.  On some things, it can be really easy to heat one side of the joint and suck the solder away on the other.  When the tip wears out, you can get replacements inexpensively.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jamier

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 05:36:56 PM
PB,

I want to make sure I'm understanding you. You do like the iron that John is recommending?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 04:25:51 AM

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 04:38:49 AM
This is one of those deals where you just have to try various tools and see which one works for you. After 25 years of this I've seen our tools in the lab change every time a new tech comes in. These days techs are like chefs bringing their own knives to the prep bench. Kelvin comes in with a sweet tool roll of miniature tools when he has to do surface mount work. Terry brought his own Weller because he didn't like the Hakko in the lab. I used a Hexacon iron for years and was heartbroken when a tech who shall remain nameless used it for a pry bar and totaled it. These days I have an Ersa at home and have learned to work pretty well with it. Peebs and I often have some pretty different ideas about what works best tool-wise, though in this case I will side with him on the soldapult over the Radio Shack bulb thingie. But the best I ever had was a surplus industrial strength desoldering iron with it's own vacuum pump. Best until it broke, it was too expensive to justify replacing.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.