Resistors that would benefit from an upgrade on the SEX Kit

HF9 · 2577

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
So I'm done tweaking my Crack, now it's time to move on to the S.E.X. :) I was wondering which resistors in the kit would benefit from an upgrade to something a little more boutique (ie: Takman Carbon Film).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I've already have the iron upgrade and some Ampohm PIOs on the ready.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:52:46 AM
Good on you for choosing the ampohms!  Which ones did you get -- copper or tin?

As for the resistors, the one people mention most are the 499 ohm ones in the CCS boards, and some people have replaced the headphone jack resistors and the 4 grid stoppers all with 120 ohm rikens.  Yes, the grid stoppers are normally 220, but 120 works fine there.  I also prefer to sub Mills WWs for any sandcast resistors as I think in general they sound much cleaner, admittedly however, I have not finished my s.e.x. amp yet.

There may be others, but I'd strongly suggest just using what you have first and tweaking from there.  The consensus seems to be that the majority of the resistors in this kit are quite good as they are and there is little to be gained with boutiques, and in fact there maybe voltage rating issues that you may not be aware of.

Good luck,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 12:18:08 PM
Thanks for the good info! I'm getting the newer C4S kit, so I'll have to check to see if the resistor values changed at all. The Ampohms I chose were the Paper in Wax Aluminum Foil.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:20:24 PM by HF9 »

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com