Heads up on kit repair shipping

oguinn · 741

Offline oguinn

on: December 31, 2018, 08:00:03 PM
This is definitely not a complaint but more of an FYI: I shipped my SEX back to Bottlehead today using the box it came in. It was $45 for UPS Ground, which seemed about right. However, I asked whether I could insure it - I packed according to the instructions, but I am still a little squeamish about shipping $600 in an uninsured box - and was told that the box didn’t have a sufficient edge crush rating for UPS to insure it. My options were to find a more stout box, have UPS repack it on my behalf ($90 all-in) or ship it uninsured. I chose to ride the lightning.

Anyhow, just wanted to highlight a small quirk. Have a happy new year!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 07:10:48 AM
It's funny, I once tried to file a claim with UPS and they told me the same thing, but I had purchased the box at the UPS store...

I looked at the boxes that I buy for small legacy repairs, and they are rated to 40 lbs. for FedEx/UPS, and I'm sure Josh can look up what the box we sent you was rated for. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 08:00:14 AM
Yeah, it was 40 lbs and they were still weird about it.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 08:06:30 AM
Them being weird about it is a lot different than the box not meeting UPS's specifications.  I'd give them a hard time about that if you ever go back.  A packed SEX doesn't even weight 20 lbs. IIRC.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 10:31:06 AM
Yeah, good call.

I wrapped that sucker up pretty tightly. Here's hoping!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Deluk

Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 02:55:27 AM
Having read that UPS employ NBA rejects to handle their packages perhaps I'm not surprised that so many get damaged. I've never heard of crush rated packing. Here in the UK you just pack the parcel "safely" and pay insurance if you want to. Yes, you will have to jump through hoops a bit if there is a claim and they say the packaging wasn't of a suitable standard. I once had a pair of sealed beam headlights sent to me with a minimal wrapping of bubble wrap in a plastic bag. Needless to say, they didn't survive, and I refused delivery. The seller refunded me and made the claim himself. I was sent a questionnaire. Never did find out if he was compensated.