WHAT OLDER ALBUM SURPRISED YOU?

jgarr4714 · 3034

Offline jgarr4714

on: October 21, 2017, 06:27:57 PM
I recently upgraded my pre-amp to an EROS/SMASH combination.  Since then I've been listening to a lot of my older albums and have been surprised by the nuances I've heard with my new set up.  Today I listened to some of Al Di Meola's albums that have been in my library since the 80's and reviewed the record jackets.  I was amazed at what I heard and read.  EL SPLENDIDO HOTEL  listed Antony Jackson on bass, Steve Gadd on drums and the legendary Les Paul on one of the tracks.  I listened to each side of the 2 record album 3 times and found riffs, rhythms, and harmonies that I'd never heard before.  What an amazing combination of musicians.  Studio musicians Jackson and Gadd frequent a lot of the albums in my library and whenever I see their names I try to pick up the album. 

What has surprised you lately?  And what names do you look for on albums?

Jim Garrett

Offline Bartman

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 09:17:23 AM
This w/e I heard for the first time the Getz Gilberto Latin Jazz CD (Verve) on a 2A3 headphone amp.  This is outside my usual genre (classic jazz trio). I confess I have never enjoyed the track "Girl from Ipanema" - until now - Beautiful audiophile recording.  Soon hopefully I'll see how this CD sounds on my new Kaiju build.

Offline rockpassion

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 06:58:02 PM
Interesting question.  I have a number of albums that are in the 1950's early sixties period that always surprise me.  The one that always jumps to mind is Bing Crosby/Rosemary Clooney "Fancy Meeting You Here".  My copy is mint minus.  When I first played it I was and still am amazed at its soundstage and realistic sound quality.  Also I really enjoy both singers.  Bing's voice is not as great as it once was but he harmonizes so well with Rosemary Clooney that is is really special.  This album (not the Living Stereo version) was produced in 1958, on normal vinyl for that time period.  So it goes to show they were doing something during that recording process and conversion to vinyl that seems to have been lost.  If you ever get a chance I highly recommend this very enjoyable album.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:17:18 AM
I've got a 1987 12" single George Michael record; Side A is "Hard Day" and Side B is "I Want Your Sex."  Might be my best sounding record - unbelievable sonics.

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline jjvornov

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:25:45 AM
Just to be contrary, I'll list two albums that infuriate me because of poor audio. After upgrading to my VPI prime/Eros combo, I had an expectation that everything would sound great. Often the revelation is just the opposite.

I love the music of Springsteen's "Born to Run". On the jazz side, Keith Jarret's "Koln Concert" is similarly important. But both of them are just lousy sounding recordings and everytime I put them on, I'm reminded by my system (Bee-Pre, First Watt F3, Zu Soul Supreme) that I have to listen through to mud of Born to Run and the toy piano sound of Jarret. 

Offline jgarr4714

Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 04:53:14 PM
When I initiated this thread, I was thinking positively, but the last entry struck a chord with me.  I just re-listened to an album that has many musically interesting themes, lyrics, and rhythms but the recording process is full of compression and level adjustments.  Why is it that a musician, a recording engineer, and a producer would allow the same volume level for one acoustic instrument as numerous amplified instruments?  I trained as a musician so I doubt that that problem is at that level.  Album in question, Eddie Rabbitt’s Horizon.  The album could have been spectacular if the natural dynamics of the instruments had been preserved.

Jim G.

Jim Garrett

Offline jjvornov

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 08:07:42 AM
It's often the contrast between records that's the most enjoyable. After listening to something compressed and overly manipulated, an open, natural recording can be a real revelation. I've often thought that one of my goals in a system is to render recordings distinctly, revealing what went onto the master tape, for good or bad.

Of course there's the element that a fine audio system should make it possible to listen to less than perfect recordings in order to allow the music to come through, not just recording quality. And that's a tough balance

Offline jgarr4714

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 10:35:30 PM
Just listened to a 1978 recording on the Sheffield Lab label of Larry McNeilly Geof Levin and Jack Skinner. Amazing!  I’ve listened to this album dozens of times and I am never disappointed whenever I here it. If you like bluegrass you have to listen to this. A direct to disc recording that has such a tight response and incredible dynamics it’s hard to believe it is now 40 years old. Listen to this and never again say digital is better.

Jim Garrett

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 01:06:17 PM
IME some direct to disc recordings are the LPs that have really shown the maximum technical potential of vinyl.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Wanderer

Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 04:37:20 AM
Original Black Dog RCA label "Music From Peter Gunn" Henry Mancini sound track. Bought at a used records store expecting it to sound decent and always liked the main theme. Was not expecting demo quality sound...but holy hoopla...this thing sounds GREAT.  Surprised it is not on anybodies "Super Disc" list.

Kevin R-M

Offline rockdoc

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 04:39:38 AM
two old loungy LPs;

Morton Gould And His Orchestra ‎– Latin, Lush And Lovely, 1964

Marty Gold And His Orchestra* ‎– Soundpower! Music To The Limits Of Audibility, 1963

Really well recorded, and loads of fun to listen to. Especially the bass clarinet (I played in Jr high and HS) on Soundpower!. Mint copies generally under $10. on discogs.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 05:37:48 AM
Mint copies generally under $10. on discogs.

The Morton Gould records were lifers in thrift store prison in the 90s, mixed in with the bizarre Christian music albums and bad 80s pop. They were never marked much higher than 35-50 cents. I remember the local Goodwill having what was probably the full catalog sitting in the bins for years. I also remember the day when I turned the corner to find some proto-millenials flipping through what for years had been my record bins! From there on I was competing with others mining for the good stuff and eventually drifted away from thrift picking. Sounds like the vinyl craze must be cresting if those Gould records (Morton, not Glenn) go for a tenner these days.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline rockdoc

Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 05:49:08 AM
I'm sure I got these two at the "Take It Or Leave It" in my town. My VPI record cleaner is my best friend....

Offline rockdoc

Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 05:57:15 AM
Rafael Kubelik, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Moussorgsky, Ravel ‎– Pictures At An Exhibition

Mercury ‎– MG 50000

Great sound for 1953

Offline manther

Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 11:53:53 AM

Marty Gold And His Orchestra* ‎– Soundpower! Music To The Limits Of Audibility, 1963

Thanks for this suggestion, very fun to listen to!