SEX 3.0.1

Karl5150 · 1196

Offline Karl5150

on: January 13, 2019, 02:23:59 PM
   So, like we are supposed to, I built it stock first... well except for the multiple inputs, some wrangling with oversized Clarity caps and the on switch located by the IEC. It fired right up, both sets of inputs worked with speakers and phones and it is dead quiet.
   Then came the experimentation...
   Using the MourQuiet in my SII as a template, I had prepped a "QuietSex", slightly reducing the sub-panel size and changing the input resisters due to the input impedance difference of the two kits.
   Doc isn't kidding when he says they use premium switches in the various kits that offer this as an upgrade. I wasn't about to cheap-out on them and with the price of a custom panel and resistors it's easy to understand why the kits come in at the price points they do. (Plus we gotta' help PB with those pesky student loans for the math degree needed to come up with the required resistor values ;>)
   Don't doubt the value of adding the BH stepped attenuator where available.
   DIY for the kits that don't offer it? That's up to you, but I'm happy.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Deke609

Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 02:41:15 PM
That double frame with the rounded interior corners is sweet! How did you do the white lettering on the chassis?

Can you post a pic of the entire unit?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:44:02 PM by Deke609 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 03:16:11 PM
Man, it's lucky you were even able to order that switch.  They seem to be very frequently out of stock at the usual vendors. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Karl5150

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 07:30:46 AM
  Thanks Derek, it is a custom panel from Front Panel Express (no affiliation) and the free software allows powder coating, anodizing, lettering, etc. What you can't see are the stand-offs and studs pre-attached to the back side of the panel. It is a rabbit hole of how custom you want it vs. how much you are willing to spend.
  Paul, the plan had been in place for a while before the Gravy Thursday sale. I think it was almost 6 weeks from order to delivery. Then I happened on 2 more in stock elsewhere and snagged them.
  Since I ordered at least 4 of each resister value, can you say SEX 2.1.1?

Karl

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 08:04:02 AM
  Thanks Derek, it is a custom panel from Front Panel Express (no affiliation) and the free software allows powder coating, anodizing, lettering, etc. What you can't see are the stand-offs and studs pre-attached to the back side of the panel. It is a rabbit hole of how custom you want it vs. how much you are willing to spend.
That truly is really awesome. Did it take a lot of work to identify the size of each hole and mark it out in the software? And also for the dB markings?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Tom-s

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 11:08:17 AM
Very nice job indeed! I'm jealous for those switches! I couldn't find those anywhere when i wanted to.

The C4S for S3X is your best next step now!

That's the advantage of the Elma switch, it's smaller so the C4S fits more easily.

https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb16519343/p5pb16519343.jpg

Offline Karl5150

Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 01:20:03 PM
Thank you Tom-s & Jameson.
  I think the software is quite intuitive. This is the 4th full-sized BH kit I've had a panel made for. It's mostly aesthetic choices, Doc & crew put in all the heavy lifting with layouts designed for their circuits and construction by us mortals.
  My M.O. is to get close while I'm hiding my lunch money from my wife and waiting for a sale. I often temporarily add design elements to simulate the size and shape of objects on the back side to understand clearance issues, i.e. adding the rotary switch and extra inputs. Things like the holes for the RCA jacks, PC/OT, IEC, etc. stay constant.
  When the box arrives from the island in the Sound, I pull the panel, grab the calipers, finalize the design and place my order. The week it takes to get the panel back gives the paint on the transformer bell and the PCs time to dry. They even include a snack size pack of gummi-bears, what's not to like?
Karl

Karl

Offline Karl5150

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 01:25:21 PM
PS
The attenuation marking is chord measurements based on the chicken head switch size. "Fun" math.

Karl

Offline Karl5150

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 07:10:16 AM
Just an update after a couple of weeks of daily listening:
Like the 2.1 version, it is so listenable and provides the occasional surprise of a sound that seems to eminate from a point outside the speaker boundaries. The vocals are locked to the center of the computer monitor and the amp provides for a very good dissapearing act by the single-driver speakers, positioned just wider than an equilateral triangle.
I'm glad I took the initiative to add the extra set of inputs and wired the rotary switch so there is a blank between the sets. No switching source cables and a convienient mute setting.
The C4S board has been built since before the amp itself but I haven't been willing to pull the amp out of service long enough to install it.
Thanks again BH for providing a fun project and outstanding audio!
Karl

Karl