Staticky pot

oguinn · 3128

Offline oguinn

on: February 14, 2019, 08:39:27 AM
I'm having a little static when turning the volume pot, particularly at the low end.

I'm pretty sure I'd read somewhere that staticky pots are not uncommon and they may either take a little break-in to get the oxidization off, but was there also some sort of spray that was recommended? Or was it that spray wasn't recommended for pots?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 08:45:51 AM
I wouldn't bother with spray on a new pot, just use it.  (Or install the attenuator upgrade)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 08:51:35 AM
Sounds good. I've got the attenuator upgrade sitting here - wanted to get used to the base model first.

Kind of exciting to have two more sets of upgrades to make on this since it sounds amazing already!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 10:42:52 AM
Exercise it by cranking it all the way up and down maybe 20 times to clear any oxidation. That is SOP in a studio when setting up gear for a recording.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 11:41:30 AM
Yeah, I did do that. Probably just need to break it in some more.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 02:14:33 PM
So, related to my other thread about the X2. I think this issue and the other are related. I noticed the quiet channel was also the channel with the static when the pot was turned. I swapped tubes and the issues followed.

Any chance that corrects itself with burn in? I ordered a few replacements on eBay - how important are matched ours of these?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 02:41:37 PM by oguinn »

Jameson O'Guinn

-