Genalex Gold Lion PS-300b

rockpassion · 2275

Offline rockpassion

on: March 06, 2019, 06:46:50 PM
Has anyone tried these tubes in their BeePre?  I want to get some new tubes and these have gotten really good reviews.  However, there were all in amplifiers.  I am guessing their nature in an amplifier will translate equally to the BeePre.  Any feedback on these tubes would be appreciated.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 07:16:36 PM
I run the Genalex Gold Lion PX-300b  in my Beepre with Shuguang Treasure 300BZ in my Paramounts. Both are very good tubes.  They are my favorites after trying several Chinese and European varieties.  I get better bass with the Gold Lions in the BeePree, but my speakers don't have much below 50Hz.  They both give me the mid range I would expect from a 300B. I think the Treasures may be a little more refined in timbre, but the Gold Lions are dynamic, detailed and provide palpable imaging and soundstaging.  Both have been faultless in long term service.  I could live with either one in the pre or the power amp.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Adrian

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 11:02:02 PM
I also use the Gold Lion PX300Bs in my Paramounts (using a "passive" preamp).
These are great sounding tubes - money well spent.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Rocketman248

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 11:39:04 PM
I had a pair in my BeePre, but one of the tubes burned out in less than a year.  Heard a loud pop, and lost one of the channels.  Testing revealed an open in the filament.  I've since switched to a pair of Electo Harmonix Gold Grids.

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 04:09:58 AM
I've since switched to a pair of Electo Harmonix Gold Grids.
+1

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 05:22:07 AM
I had a pair in my BeePre, but one of the tubes burned out in less than a year.  Heard a loud pop, and lost one of the channels.  Testing revealed an open in the filament.  I've since switched to a pair of Electo Harmonix Gold Grids.

IIRC both the EH and Gold Lion are the same manufacturer.  The Genelex is just the "premium build" with heavier glass.  I do agree that the EH Gold is a good value for the money, but IME, the Gold Lion is the better sounding tube.  There is no longer a huge price premium for the Gold Lion over the EH.  In my system, the EH's were pretty much the same as the JJ's for less money.  I would take the EH Gold over similarly priced Chinese 300B's anyday!

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:15:22 PM by galyons »

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's