tubes loose in sockets

denti alligator · 753

Offline denti alligator

on: April 20, 2019, 03:46:29 AM
I've been running my Stereomour II for years now and loving it.

One problem I've had is that the left 2A3 tube is very loose in the socket, and sometimes I get hum from it that requires nudging it slightly. I've re-flowed the solder on the sockets but that hasn't improved the problem. I've swopped the tubes. No improvement. The right tube is also not sitting snugly, but it doesn't seem to have this issue.

For now I'm happy to nudge it every now and then. Do I maybe need to replace the socket itself, or should I re-flow and maybe apply more solder to the joints again?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 05:21:11 AM
You can pinch the contacts together a bit under the socket and that should take care of the issue.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denti alligator

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 05:22:34 AM
perfect, thanks.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable