Paramout Whats Next

thdewitt · 2539

Offline thdewitt

on: October 01, 2018, 06:20:57 AM
So, I decided to buy Mcintosh solid state AMP and Phono stage.  So I took my bottle head Paramounts, BeePre and Eros out of my system.  I also added a VPI Prime Turntable.  After about 30 hours of listening I was very unhappy.  I reconfigured and aligned the turntable, tried headphones and did many things to try to figure out why the sound stage was so small and sound localized to the speakers.  After a lot of experimentation the people I bought the McIntosh equipment told me to put the Paramounts back in the system after the McIntosh Amp.  Wow, what a difference that makes.  Now my system sounds better than ever.  The air in the soundstage and the vastness are what is so appealing to me.  My room now has a wall of instruments instead of two speakers emitting sound.

So, now that I am 100% sure I am never taking the Paramounts out of my system I was wondering what else I can do to improve the Paramount.  I just ordered Silver Cardas RCA Jacks and Speaker Posts.  I also ordered 5 Star GE 5760 Driver Tubes.  I have JJ 300B tubes.  Any other recommendations for upgrades.  I just love to work on these projects.  I already built the BeePre, Eros, Sterormour, Crack, Submissive and more.  So I really don't need any more kits.  Just want to fiddle with the Paramount.  Thanks for your help.  Great, fun projects.

Tom

Eros Telefunken EF806S and Telefunken E88CC
BeePre JJ 300B
Paramount 1.1 EH 300B
Stereomour JJ 2a3-40 and Mullard CV4024
Crack Tung Sol 5998  Mullard CV 4003
Thorens TD 160 Super (Vinyl Nirvana)
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe/Dungenus Sub
Blumenstein Mako Floorstanders Chocolate Bamboo

Offline Tom-s

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 06:25:32 AM
Being called Para-mount, the para-feed capacitor is the first thing that comes to mind.
Don't know if it's direct coupled but if it uses a coupling capacitor, that's worth a shot aswel?

Audyn True copper max appear to be a "budget" best.
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 06:26:04 AM
Well, the Kaiju will give you even deeper/cleaner bottom end response from its larger plate choke and output transformer. 

There's not a whole lot else to mess with though, the Paramounts are still excellent performers.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 07:36:36 AM
You could try running the speaker outputs in balanced configuration. Disconnect the black binding post from ground. Then run a 75 ohm or so resistor from the black post to ground, another 75 ohm resistor from the red post to ground. Try it and tell me if you hear any difference.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.