Finished my new build... it's great! But there are pops...

xarkkon · 608

Offline xarkkon

Hello! I'm new to all this, never had a headphone amp before and my entire diy career involved just one mechanical keyboard and a hifiberry dac. Put this thing together and absolutely loved the process and the sound! I'm having some problems with pops. I suspect it's the headphone jack as the pops only occur when I move or wiggle the jack.

With the black wire that runs through both bottom lugs and snakes around the top 2 lugs away from the 9 pin socket, I only soldered the bottom lug away from the socket and left the remaining 3 lugs unsoldered (per the manual, I think). Can I check if this is correct? Should I be soldering any of the remaining lugs? Thanks!

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 03:16:44 PM
Once you’ve completed the kit those should be soldered. You do it when you add in the resistors.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline xarkkon

Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 03:23:49 PM
Once you’ve completed the kit those should be soldered. You do it when you add in the resistors.

Ah! Thanks! That explains it. And there I was trying my darndest NOT to solder them when putting in the resistors....   ;D

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 03:26:41 PM
Yeah, check those last few steps carefully. It says attach and solder on the resistor steps.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline xarkkon

Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 05:33:18 PM
Yep, sure does. Soldered the resistors per the steps, but didn't mention to solder the black wire on. I made the mistake of assuming that the black wire shouldn't be soldered. Ha! Thanks again!