Crack w/ only small PCB Speedball upgrade

ncsMD · 1030

Offline ncsMD

on: May 23, 2019, 06:30:42 AM
Hi there,

As the manual suggested, I listened to my crack after I was halfway through upgrading the speedball (using only the small PCB board).

I actually think I may prefer the sound of the small PCB alone vs the additional main PCB. Does anyone have this preference or use their crack w/ speedball without the large PCB? Can anyone explain what the difference is in terms of the electronics and how it affects the sound? What does adding the large PCB due versus just the small PCB alone?

Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 07:31:21 AM
The large PCB provides a high impedance load for the cathode follower output stage.  When using the amp with this board, nearly all the AC current available from the 6080 is delivered to the load, while this is not really the case with the 3K loading resistors. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ncsMD

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 08:39:18 AM
The large PCB provides a high impedance load for the cathode follower output stage.  When using the amp with this board, nearly all the AC current available from the 6080 is delivered to the load, while this is not really the case with the 3K loading resistors.

Can you explain why I would prefer this sound over the stock crack and the stock crack + speedball upgrade? Does it represent some middle ground between the tubey warmth of the stock vs the fast speed of the speedball upgrade?

Offline Crackawaka

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 09:37:15 AM
I too would like to know. I plan on building the speedball upgrade over the weekend and noticed this in the speedball upgrade manual as well (and also wondered what the difference is sonically).

Based on what Paul B. wrote above, I’m guessing it means the signal gets a bit “cleaner”?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 10:47:59 AM
My specialty has never been explaining other people's preferences. 

It's easy enough to swap the big board and 3K resistors to make your own observations, then you can let us know what you think.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Deluk

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 02:17:26 AM
A hidden question here is whether running just the small board has any long term effect on the 6080 and the general stability of the crack. I'm sure that the design team would have just used the small board for the Speedball if it did the whole job, just to keep things simple, and cheap.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 04:50:34 AM
A hidden question here is whether running just the small board has any long term effect on the 6080 and the general stability of the crack.
This shouldn't create any problems.
I'm sure that the design team would have just used the small board for the Speedball if it did the whole job, just to keep things simple, and cheap.
This is true.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Crackawaka

Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 08:18:03 AM
‘Nuff said! While building it this weekend, I’m just going to keep repeating these words from Doc B. that I found in the Speedball upgrade post:

“For those looking for something even stronger than Crack - quicker, more quiet, better mids, better bass, better resolution.”

;D

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 10:47:49 AM
My preference is 180° apart from the OP. I only have the large PCB installed. I find that the smaller board takes away a bit of warmth in the sound.

Raymond P.