This really is a very special preamp

Guest · 695

Deke609

on: July 24, 2019, 02:55:39 PM
I had my Beepre on the operating table for a few days and so had an opportunity to listen to my SII-45 without it. 

Let me preface my comments by making clear that I love my SII-45. Even before adding the Beepre and fancy caps and EML tubes, I was very happy with it.  But for the previous 8 months or so I'd always listened to it fed by a Beepre.  When I first added the Beepre I was enthralled - as I usually am when I make an "upgrade" (although not always).  But that honeymoon period ended long ago and I quickly grew accustomed to and took for granted its contribution. So how would the SII-45 sound without it?  Even more lush, with more emphasis on that 45 magic?  Nope.  Here's what I heard: the soundstage had collapsed in on itself; dynamics were markedly reduced; a major loss of detail; and it was sluggish.  I listened for a couple hours and then turned it off ... and didn't turn it on again until I had the Beepre up and running again. And then "Ahhhh ... this sounds superb."

Doc B has rightly stated that the SII doesn't need the Beepre (or any preamp). But of course neither does it need the Shunt Reg upgrade or tubes and caps other than those provided with kit ... but it sure sounds better with them.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the Beepre in front of the Kaiju that is on its way to my door.

cheers,  Derek
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 04:02:55 PM by Deke609 »