replacing XLR output with rca

Guest · 2251

Deke609

on: June 02, 2019, 10:39:42 AM
If I replace the xlr output connectors with rca, am I correct that I can/should remove all of the following for each output: the 10uF cap and the two resistors (475K and 604)?

And then just connect existing red/black center pins to new respective red/black center pins, and existing ground tabs to respective new ground tabs?

I think this is right, but want someone who understands these things better than me to confirm.

Many thanks,

Derek

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:41:42 AM by Deke609 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 10:48:00 AM
Yes.  You could also just plug an RCA splitter into the RCA output jacks, or an XLR to phono adapter into the XLR jacks.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Deke609

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 11:16:29 AM
Many thanks PB.

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 06:06:04 AM
Is there a benefit to leaving the XLRs in and using an adapter? Just better resale and ease of troubleshooting since it more closely follows the manual?

Also - re: the manual - You guys are super busy and this is a low priority, I'm sure, but your Coppertop Loop address is still in the contact section.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 06:55:42 AM
Resale value will be better because its stock.  Using an adapter and converting the jack are functionally identical.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 07:18:01 AM
Awesome. I'll pick up a pair of adapters then. Thanks@

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Deke609

Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 07:31:06 AM
Resale value will be better because its stock.

But does anybody here actually sell their "old" BH stuff? I'm only an infrequent scourer of Ebay, Audiogon, Audiomart, etc., but the times I've looked I've rarely seen BH's "upper end" stuff for sale. A couple of Stereomours, maybe a Paramount or two.

For me, thinking about resale value ("I can sell it for what I paid for it!") is just a trick I play on myself to justify "just one more". And it works every time  ;D

Offline oguinn

Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 08:03:49 AM
I've been mulling the same question. Once I build the BeePre and Kaiju I'm going to have a Steremour and Smash that are ostensibly out of a job. We're moving soon so maybe I'll be able to swing two systems (an office and a listening room) but since I work from home I doubt I'll be able to con my wife into giving me two rooms... if we even have two spare rooms in the new place.

I'm not sure anyone's going to want my orange and white Smash and Stereomour.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 09:21:37 AM
Derek and Jameson,

Derek, you are right, you do, rarely, see it for sale. I think the reason is that when BH items come up they sell fast, real fast. I have seen newly listed Paramounts go quicker than the time it took me to find my credit card. I’m still looking for a pair.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 09:27:41 AM
Yes, the higher end products tend to sell quickly as used items *if* they are reasonably well built and stock.

If you put octal sockets and 6B4Gs in a BeePre, I bet it would take months to sell.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Deke609

Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 10:35:15 AM
At the same time, if you enjoy soldering (as I imagine everyone with "too many" BH amps must), it's really not a problem to revert to stock unless you've modified the chassis plate (as I did on my SII-2A3 to install an iec inlet/switch combo at the back to make room at front for big parafeed caps). And even then, I suspect you could buy a new plate from BH and just rebuild the amp - which would actually be fun for most.

Deke609

Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 10:40:09 AM
I have seen newly listed Paramounts go quicker than the time it took me to find my credit card. I’m still looking for a pair.
Jamie

Have you tried putting up a "WTB" (want to buy) listing on the various audio selling places? My guess is that such a post could motivate someone to sell directly to you with no competition from other buyers.

Offline Jamier

Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 02:05:53 PM
Derek,

No, I’m kind of on to other things now, but if a pair were to practically fall into my lap I would not pass them up.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Tom-s

Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 06:34:45 PM
I'm just leaving this here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173958334463
 ;)

Offline Jamier

Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 07:07:15 PM
Thanks for that Tom, but they are gone. I didn’t even get to the part where I look for my CC.

Jamie

James Robbins