new Jagers

joepiecuch · 2156

Offline joepiecuch

on: August 15, 2019, 06:01:51 PM
Finished building a pair of these this afternoon and connected them to a recently completed BeePre and Kaiju, and, despite them standing side by side in the tiny, cluttered work room, being connected with crap wire, having no break-in on any of it and using an iPhone as source, these speakers sound amazing. My loyalty to my Straight 8s doesn't stand up to them. Thanks so much!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 09:23:13 AM
Yay! Well done Joe!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline elv1s

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 06:22:37 PM
Small world, my name is Joe and I just finished my Jagers too!

This was a great upgrade from the Tritrix I built from PartsExpress a few years ago. It feels like listening to my albums for the first time!

The image is accurate and the top end is crystal clear. The bass end was a bit low for my taste, but moving the speakers closer to the wall helped to boost it slightly.

Some notes on my build:
- I'd recommend having some clamps handy to tighten any gaps during final glue up. I waited a couple weeks between dry assembly and glue up and it looked like some of the wood moved on me.
- The inductors are a bit of a stretch on the crossover and the impedance boards, but doable.

I'm not a woodworker but here is what I did to finish the birch ply:
- generously apply minwax wood conditioner
- wipe on/off General Finishes Gel stain (American Oak) let dry overnight
- 3x wipe on General Finishes Arm r Seal (I added a little brown/red stain to tint) let dry between applications
- sand with 0000 steel wool and old english oil
- wipe off excess oil and rub with brown paper bag sheets

This will get the surface to feel like a sheet of glass. If possible do this in a temperature controlled room. I did this outdoors during a sunny day and the finish started to gum up quickly and I had to rush.

Joe Alonso

AT-120 Turntable
Apple Airplay
Stereomour Amp
Induction Pre Amp
Jaeger Speakers

Offline adeep42

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 05:17:07 AM
Very Nice!!!!!!!!

Deke609

Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 07:50:21 AM
Nice job matching the stain to your existing decor!

The image is accurate and the top end is crystal clear. The bass end was a bit low for my taste ...

I don't have Jagers, but your initial listening impressions match mine when I swap in new film caps in the signal path in my amps.  The bass is always light at first and usually gets worse after about 10-20 hrs, but returns with force after 50-150 hrs depending on the type of cap (IME, metalized polypro caps seem to take the least time to "burn-in", whereas teflon caps take the longest). There must be a lot of new film caps in your crossovers - I'd give a month or two of frequent use and then reevaluate.  I suspect the sound will change a lot.

cheers, Derek