Bottlehead Kits > Eros Tape

Shunt regulator readings [resolved]

(1/7) > >>

PS2500:
I've finally soldered and installed the shunt regulator, and run the voltage test. At least the previous problem I posted about, with the voltage taking minutes to bleed off, has resolved as Paul suggested it would.

I ran the test with a step-up transformer to bring the input voltage from the mains from 100V up to 110V. I did this also in the previous testing stage, re-running my earlier tests to get voltages closer to the manual's instructions, and that worked out.

The shunt regulator readings are odd though: the voltage climbs above 300V in both cases, but drops to 144V for the wire from D1. The wire from D5 goes to 222V, so close enough to the 225 specified in the manual.

The four LEDs are on and steady, and the tube heater glows as expected.

Paul Birkeland:
How are your Kreg voltages?

PS2500:
Is that still measured with T23 for the black alligator clip?

I got 4.9V at the Kreg on the A side, and 1.86V on the B side.

Paul Birkeland:
Yeah, so that's one side that is doing what it's supposed to and one that is not.  Can you post some photos of that area of the board? 

I definitely would not move past this stage until the regulator board is all the way up and running.

PS2500:
I have 3 photos so far, this is the best I can do for the moment. Lifting the board and getting decent shots of the D terminal is going to be a lot more fiddly, I don't think I'm going to manage that this weekend. So far, I've looked at solder joints and installed parts and haven't noticed anything; also the wires seem to be to at (and to) the correct terminals so far, but I will have to go back over the entire set of connections and parts for that whole section to be sure. Again, with the time I have left this weekend, I'll probably have to put that off until I can really set aside a few hours. In the meantime, these are the shots of the top of the board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version