Any preferred upgrade order for SII?

oguinn · 1009

Offline oguinn

on: June 18, 2019, 10:10:12 AM
I have the DC Filament Supply, Shunt Regulator, and MourQuiet upgrades sitting in boxes around the house. Is there a preferred order to knock those out? It seems like it might make sense to do them in that order because of space and placement, but does anyone have guidance on which should go first?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 11:24:01 AM
Luckily they all are centralized in very different parts of the amp, so doing them in any order shouldn't impact the difficulty of the others.

The DC filament upgrade is by far the easiest one to knock out, so I'd start there. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 02:49:32 PM
Threw the filament upgrade in tonight. Holy shit that was a tight fit in some spots. Sounds good though!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Jamier

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 02:53:42 PM
Jameson,

With all due respect to PB, I would install the SR circuit before MQ. The accessory mounting plate of the MQ sort of limits access to the 9-pin sockets where some delicate pin jumping needs to take place. The absence of the MQ will make this easier, in my opinion. Also, the Teflon coated wire is fairly delicate and you will have more room to make the gradual bends required to keep it from breaking. I’m sure that PB has no problem doing this in any order, but amateurs like me need every break we can get.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 03:03:29 PM
That's great advice, thanks Jamie. I absolutely need all the help I can get.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 04:31:46 PM
Hmm, that's a good point! 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man