Bottlehead Kits > Crack

Noise with Computers, USB DACs, and Powerline Ethernet Kits

(1/27) > >>

Paul Birkeland:
For those who can hear their computer working away through their Crack or who are using a powerline ethernet kit and hear lots of clicking and static, a ground breaker installed in place of the buss wire between the chassis and the ground tab of the IEC power entry module will very likely solve this issue.  I recommend using a diode that's rated for at least 2A, and the voltage isn't particularly important.  Part number STTH2R06 looks to be a solid choice.  I do not recommend using a Schottky diode here. 

I've attached a photo of how this is retrofitted into a Crack. 

denti alligator:
Would this work on any of the other kits? I have a S.E.X. that has this issue. I use an ifi USB filter that works, but it would be nice to bypass that.

Deke609:
This is very cool.

@PB: can you explain how it works?

It doesn't make sense to me. Two ideal diodes paralleled with reversed polarities would do nothing, right?  All current/voltage would pass unimpeded in either direction. So I figure it must work ONLY BECAUSE real world diodes are non-ideal.

I've seen ground loop breakers that employ a diode bridge with a resistor and cap to greatly reduce ground loops - but you're using only the diode bridge. Does the tiny amount of resistance and capacitance of the diodes do the trick?  Or is something else at work here?

many thanks,

Derek

Paul Birkeland:

--- Quote from: denti alligator on June 22, 2019, 03:11:12 AM ---Would this work on any of the other kits? I have a S.E.X. that has this issue. I use an ifi USB filter that works, but it would be nice to bypass that.

--- End quote ---
Give it a shot and let us know!

--- Quote from: Deke609 on June 22, 2019, 05:02:51 AM ---@PB: can you explain how it works?

--- End quote ---
It separates the safety ground by the voltage drop of one diode (in either direction).

--- Quote from: Deke609 on June 22, 2019, 05:02:51 AM ---All current/voltage would pass unimpeded in either direction. So I figure it must work ONLY BECAUSE real world diodes are non-ideal.

--- End quote ---
Yes, a perfect diode wouldn't allow this arrangement to work.

Deke609:
Many thanks PB.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version