Resistor in shunt upgrade

oguinn · 1027

Offline oguinn

on: June 20, 2019, 01:03:48 PM
The parts list for the shunt upgrade has two 220 ohm resistors, listed as red, red, violet, gold which I think is 220 mega ohms. My kit came with two red, red, brown, gold resistors, which is 220 ohms. I assume it should be 220 ohms and the violet is a misprint. Is that right?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 01:06:01 PM
Yes, violet is a misprint.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 01:06:48 PM
Thanks!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Jamier

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 06:23:26 PM
Working on the SR? You’re gonna love it! Check your solder joints. On mine the regulators were difficult to get soldered properly. But , once they were right, I was in heaven!

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Jamier

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 06:28:15 PM
Seriously, be real certain about the joints on that board before you install it, because pulling it out is a PITA. You don’t want to manipulate that Teflon wire more than necessary.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 07:25:12 PM
Thanks, Jamie. I haven’t had much time to spend with it, but I completed it earlier and it passed the tests and sounds great. We’re probably moving soon so I’m installing upgrades at a faster than normal clip so we have fewer stray parts to move and lose. Looking forward to listening during work tomorrow!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 07:34:06 PM
It takes a couple hours for it to settle in, after which you won’t be able to stop grinning.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 04:09:55 AM
Yeah, believe the hype on this upgrade. There's this really cool, new sense of space between the instruments.

It's crazy to me that in December I thought my SEX amp was probably the best sound I'd be able to get out of a setup without buying something crazy expensive, but everything about the Stereomour - even in its base config - has blown me away.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Deke609

Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 03:03:01 AM
You don’t want to manipulate that Teflon wire more than necessary.

+1

I had a devil of a time installing the SR on my first SII - the teflon wire kept breaking at the point where I'd stripped it. I suspect a combination of nicking the wire and overheating it when soldering was to blame.

I also wholeheartedly agree with others that the SR is an outstanding upgrade. And when you take into consideration the price, it is almost unbelievable. For anyone considering boutique film caps as the first upgrade to their SII: forget it. get the SR.  In my experience, to get the same level of improvement from caps, you'll need to spend many, many times the price of the SR.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 05:41:06 AM
The wire gets nicked if the stripper is not suitable for the job, i.e., set too small or not really a dedicated wire stripper and thus prone to applying uneven pressure around the wire. The Teflon is a lot more tough than PVC and of course more slippery, so it takes a bit more finesse to get a clean break of the insulator without digging into the copper. I'll once again post my preference for the Ideal Stripmaster. Like most tools with superior performance it's spendy, but it does a good job.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 05:44:12 AM
I picked up a Stripmaster on your recommendation when I was having trouble stripping CAT5 for my SEX amp. I love that thing.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Deke609

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 05:45:55 AM
I'll once again post my preference for the Ideal Stripmaster.

+1 to this too. I took your advice and picked one up after my troubles with the first SR and have had no trouble with nicked or broken wires since. They're very good.