Parts only kits available?

Windcrest · 1025

Offline Windcrest

on: June 30, 2019, 11:20:51 AM
Not to take away from the wonderful products here... But I've personally never been a fan of the wooden sided, single chassis plate on top, form factor for tube gear. I like my jacks on the back, controls on the front, no cables entering from the top or sides, etc... All in a "classic" style heavy gauge steel chassis. And I'm a machinist so I have access to every possible metalworking tool. Does bottlehead offer chassis-less kits at a slightly reduced cost?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 12:32:26 PM
The layout is a critical aspect of noise control, so we feel that we can only support the circuits when assembled in the layout as designed. Thus we offer the kits in complete form only. We have also found over the years that a la carte ordering for this kind of product creates more labor for us than packing a standardized kit, causes a higher instance of mispacked parts, and often requires for far more technical support than a standard build.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jgarr4714

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 07:49:59 PM
When I first started looking at Bottlehead kits I was somewhat taken aback by the look of the units showing all connections and controls on the top panel.  I thought I could build that with the inputs/outputs on a back panel and the controls on a front panel, a more conventional approach.  Then I did a little research (I’m musician by training not an electrical engineer)  and found that there are many factors I didn’t realize when designing a layout. I decided to try a couple of kits, Eros and Smash, I built them as designed by Bottlehead and they are fabulous.  That’s not to say someone who has the knowledge to modify them shouldn’t do it but don’t be apprehensive at building the stock kits. Many of my friends have heard my system and been in awe.  That’s considering both visual and auditory factors.

Jim Garrett

Offline Windcrest

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 07:46:04 AM
The layout is a critical aspect of noise control, so we feel that we can only support the circuits when assembled in the layout as designed. Thus we offer the kits in complete form only. We have also found over the years that a la carte ordering for this kind of product creates more labor for us than packing a standardized kit, causes a higher instance of mispacked parts, and often requires for far more technical support than a standard build.

I understand, thanks.