Driver and output tubes recommendations for super simple SET learning exercise?

Guest · 1859

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator

Deke609

Fantastic. Many thanks PJ.

Having already reviewed a set of Mullard data sheets earlier today, I felt a bit embarrassed when I checked your pg. 9 and saw the curves. I didn't understand how I could have missed that. But rechecking the Mullard sheets that I had found, there are no curves for the tube in triode mode, just a table of triode operating points and a triode "performance" graph that appears to plot current, voltage and distortion against power output. Lesson learned!

cheers,

Derek

Offline Tom-s

Since you have a Beepre, you've got some voltage available for the next amp in line.
For absolute sound quality with simple design, you could try a single stage/tube amp.

Something like "pieters take on a DHT headphone amp". BH also used these tubes with good succes in Smash.
A 4K load would fit with these.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
The Mullard datasheet should have them.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Deke609

My original search may have turned up the only Mullard sheets that don't. From the National Valve Museum: http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/el34.pdf 

But the sheets PJ linked to and another Mullard version I found this am do have the triode curves.  So all good.

cheers and thanks,

Derek

Deke609

@Tom-s: thanks. Yeah, that's the one I found this am. I had looked at Frank's EL34 page last night, including the Phillips and Svetlana sheets and a couple of others, but having already reviewed the Mullard sheets from the National Valve Museum (which as best as I can see does not have triode plate curves) I wrongly assumed that all Mullard sheets would be the same. Not so. Lesson learned: different versions/datecodes have different data.

cheers,

Derek