U2 October remastered vinyl

aragorn723 · 521

Offline aragorn723

on: July 09, 2019, 02:07:35 PM
Today I found a copy of the U2 album October.  The cover says it is remastered.  Does that mean it wasn't recorded from the analog master?

Dave

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:27:52 PM
"Remastered" in this context does not provide an answer to your question.  You would need to do a little research to determine what might have been done differently with the remaster, or you could just buy it and listen to it...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 03:00:56 PM
Master is a nebulous term. It primarily means the final edited and play-ordered generation of the recording that is sent to the CD plant or pressing plant. Remastering tends to imply that whatever was used to make the original master was used to make the remaster. That could be the final mixdown, or the original master may have been used to make a "remaster", or it could even mean original session tapes were used.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 03:39:11 PM
I think The Edge was involved in remastering the early albums about 10 years ago. I suspect you got one of those.

October was always my favorite U2 album, making me an outlier in the fan community. I think it's a brilliant post-punk record.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 04:36:18 PM
I'm a big fan of the October album too (and the Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, just to name a few).  The price isn't too bad at $24 for a new record, half tempted to buy it because the music is so good.  Just hoping the sound quality will match! 

Did a google search, and based on the Amazon reviews it looks like this one was re-mastered by the Edge.  The one reviewer seemed to think the sound quality was as good as the original.  Guess that pretty much answers my question  8)

Dave