Resistance Question [resolved]

Rubertus · 484

Offline Rubertus

on: May 22, 2020, 09:13:23 AM
Would this diode mod to get rid of USB device noise be a reason to my earlier fully measurements passing Crack failing resistance checks on #6 and #10? I figured it looked like it had something to do with the caps charging as the resistance rose over time to slightly less than what it is on #7 and #9. The noise is almost fully gone. I ended up using a pair of BY251 diodes.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:01:17 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 10:08:32 AM
What resistances do you get at 6 and 10?  Do you have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter plugged into your Crack by chance?

The diode mod will have absolutely no impact on these resistances.

A bad solder joint where the black wires meet at the headphone jack will absolutely throw off these resistances.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Rubertus

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 11:50:52 AM
What resistances do you get at 6 and 10?  Do you have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter plugged into your Crack by chance?

The diode mod will have absolutely no impact on these resistances.

A bad solder joint where the black wires meet at the headphone jack will absolutely throw off these resistances.

Thanks for the very quick reply, Paul!

The resistances rose to around 2,7 KOhms. I had an adapter plugged. Can mark this as solved.  ::)

Offline Rubertus

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 12:35:53 PM
I'll post a couple of pictures now that this tread exists. I've never tinkered around with electronics much, only done a few small soldering jobs here and there. The initial build took me around 6 hours to complete and adding the diode mod maybe 30 minutes as I was hesitant to crank up the soldering iron to high enough heat from the beginning - that aluminum sure eats a lot and the wiring on my BY251 diodes was preetty thicc. Really happy to have bought and assembled the set!

Now off to find out if my DAC is the reason to it sounding a little flat to my ears.