News: Trouble logging in? Log in from the login page.
August 19, 2019, 03:53:48 AM

Author Topic: Stereomour Speakers  (Read 168 times)

Offline benzxc

Stereomour Speakers
« on: August 03, 2019, 04:46:34 PM »
Hi all,

I'm saving up for a Stereomour II and have been eyeing some speakers to pair with.  I intend to place them in my living room (13' x 13'), which has an open floor plan connecting it with my kitchen (5' x 7') and dining room (10' x 13').  While I will probably spend most of my time in the living room listening to the speakers, I also like to play music while I am doing housework/chores around the kitchen/dining room.

I mainly listen to jazz and classical music.  Not too much vocals apart from the odd opera pieces. 

My budget range is USD1,000 - 1,500.

Three speakers have interested me so far:

1. Blumenstein Orcas + Subwoofer combo

2. Omega Super 3 XRS

3. Caintuck Betsy Open Baffle + Alpha Sub

Anyone have any experience with the above speakers or any other speakers to pair with the Stereomour II that can provide me with some advice? 

My concern with the Orcas is that it might not be powerful enough given the open floor plan of my intended listening area. 

While I like the Caintuck open baffle look, I have never used an open baffle speakers before and there seems to be a dearth of places near where I live that I can audition those speakers.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Ben

Ben Chiou

Offline bernieclub

Re: Stereomour Speakers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 01:48:04 AM »
I don't have experience personally with any of the above specifically, but have experimented extensively with single driver and open baffle speakers over the years, in a similar listening environment.   You don't really have the space to get the best out of the OB.   Single drivers are nice, but come with specific sacrifices.   You might want to consider these with the finished cabinet option...

www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/seas-a26-10-2-way-kit-pair-based-on-the-classic-a25/

Bernie
Bernie Zitomer

Offline benzxc

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 01:57:55 AM »
Thanks, Bernie!
Ben Chiou

Offline 2wo

• Test
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 05:50:40 PM »
I have listened to the Betsy's driven with one of my 45 amps and they sound wonderful. They have a huge sound stage, a "you are there image" and a beautiful tone. I really liked them a lot...John

John Scanlon

Offline benzxc

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 12:24:22 AM »
Thanks, John!  I'm leaning more towards the Betsy due to the price and I just really like the looks of the open baffle design.  Though the omega super 3 xrs and orcas look really nice too....
Ben Chiou